Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Offical Volcano Topic
11-02-2012, 02:12 PM
Re: Offical Volcano Topic
Ehhh.... Heartline rolls aren't that bad. Gives you plenty of hangtime making you feel like you will fall out. They aren't too bad for my shoulders, and I'm 5'10.

Planet Snoopy! 2013
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-02-2012, 02:45 PM
Coaster_Fanatic Wrote:Ehhh.... Heartline rolls aren't that bad. Gives you plenty of hangtime making you feel like you will fall out. They aren't too bad for my shoulders, and I'm 5'10.

Heartline rolls are amazing.

How many suspended coasters even have them?

149 Coasters & Counting (119 Steel / 30 Wood)
-------
30th Wooden Coaster: Thunderhead @ Dollywood on 5/13
150th Coaster: Cyclone @ Coney Island on 9/1
11-02-2012, 09:24 PM
sbrubakerjr Wrote:
Coaster_Fanatic Wrote:Ehhh.... Heartline rolls aren't that bad. Gives you plenty of hangtime making you feel like you will fall out. They aren't too bad for my shoulders, and I'm 5'10.

Heartline rolls are amazing.

How many suspended coasters even have them?

According to RCDB, Volcano and Tornado (in Finland) are the only inverted coasters with a heartline roll. Tornado has 2. If you count flying coasters, a bunch of Zamperla Volares also have two heartline rolls. The other types of coasters that have these are a bunch of sit-down coasters and Togo Ultra Twisters.

I'm redesigning all of the Coaster Crew Network sites throughout the spring. Please help me out by answering surveys and polls on our Coaster Crew Network News board!

My top steel coasters: 1. Top Thrill Dragster | 2. Manta (SWO) | 3. Montu | 4. SheiKra | 5. Volcano ... My top wooden coaster: El Toro (SFGAdv).
02-08-2013, 01:19 PM
Found some old Volcano footage on YouTube.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izBznoA79Dw&list=UU7udq7FMAxI0gwz2RYzFrVg&index=8[/youtube]

This guy has tons of other old skool Travel Channel documentaries on his YT page, plus a few older POVs. I'd highly recommend checking them out.

Artwork: http://dvn225.deviantart.com - http://www.facebook.com/dans.awesome.artwork
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-09-2014, 04:33 PM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2014 07:24 PM by nyc_phil.)
RE: Offical Volcano Topic
Well so they did some work to Volcano this year. I am still trying to understand the new layout. Is the former exit side going to be the new loading and then the exit being directly across it to go up a new set of stairs replacing that long ramp? I will have to say that I guess simple is better and to those that said something along the lines of a loading 'flip', i guess you were right (instead of my hopes for a dual loading platform). That said, i wonder how much this all cost and why it took this long to do as they could've done this 'simple' thing years ago to help speed up the loading with the loading and off loading done in one stop than the offset* platforms they've been doing for years.
03-11-2014, 07:34 PM (This post was last modified: 03-11-2014 10:08 PM by bill_s.)
I thought the reason for the separate unload and load stations was to make it faster. The only thing I can see this improving is putting all the workers in one place. Maybe something to do with loose items but again this seems worse. I have to wonder if they're going to load 2 trains at once, if there's some way to make that work with only 2 trains total.

P.S. this could make the station less intense for the guests Wink
03-12-2014, 07:28 PM
From the pics posted, i dunno if they are going to load both at once. It looked like everything will be done at the original exit only side. Although at least they could have the first train hold outside (where it normally would be loading riders) while the train behind is off loading and loading. So no change other than making the transition smoother.
04-02-2014, 02:57 PM
Ive read many different post about what Volcano got this year.... they were all different. Does anybody know exactly what KD did to the ride entrance, exit, and station?

Drop Tower is my favorite flat ride!
Intimidator 305 is my favorite roller coaster!
These are my Kings Dominion favorites!

Coaster Count: 87
04-16-2014, 04:29 PM
(04-02-2014 02:57 PM)FansOfKingsDominion Wrote:  Ive read many different post about what Volcano got this year.... they were all different. Does anybody know exactly what KD did to the ride entrance, exit, and station?

Yea I do. I went there last Saturday. You still enter in through the normal entrance. Once your at the top, you walk towards the upper queue area and head down the old Fast Lane staircase. From there you enter the station. Now the trains are loaded from the back part of the station, rather than the front. The ride-op controls have also been moved to the new loading area. To exit the ride, there is a new staircase towards the left of the station. The new staircase takes you up to a new walkway that they built, and a down a new staircase for the gift shop. The old walkway that lead down into the station is no longer there.

I have mixed emotions about the new queue method. It would have been much cooler if they made the break run an un-loading area. That way they could have had two loading stations. One in the further back where the train use to let people off and another one where the old loading area was. That would have dealt with the wait time a lot easier. More staff would have been required to check seats, but the line would have moved faster, with two trains being loaded at the same time.
04-21-2014, 01:04 PM
Load/Unload does seem to be moving faster based on what I've seen.

I Have No Homeboy.
04-28-2014, 09:06 AM (This post was last modified: 04-28-2014 09:08 AM by bill_s.)
I've seen reports of lines being quite long at times, although also one of a long line moving fast.

I still think the maximum potential throughput has been *reduced*, but it is less confusing and makes better use of personnel so there's some advantage. The best thing is it is less claustrophobic than the original poorly designed queue. A downside is more walking up and down. There may also be some minor advantages: I see a door at the top of the exit stairs that could be used as a shortcut for rerides, which was open once but I didn't get to use it because the park closed first.