Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Offical Flight of Fear Topic
04-06-2010, 10:28 PM

Fooz Wrote:Do they ever turn all the lights off?

Theres usually a few dim lights, and you can see the track pretty clearly. I was wondering if its ever pitch black in there.

I don't believe so. I remember when FOF was first built, they got "experts" to ride it in total darkness and they said it was terrifying. But that's what it was suppose to initially be..in total darkness.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-06-2010, 10:40 PM

I remember last year (2009) on Good Friday they had all the lights off in the early afternoon for some reason... only time it has happend to me... :?
I think if they made the lights blink on and off that it would be a lot more cool (not strobe lights)! :wink:
04-06-2010, 10:47 PM

alex4hokies Wrote:I remember last year (2009) on Good Friday they had all the lights off in the early afternoon for some reason... only time it has happend to me... :?
I think if they made the lights blink on and off that it would be a lot more cool (not strobe lights)! :wink:

Oh okay cause I was thinking "talk about seizures!" I am not a fan of the strobe light. I like the all darkness myself!

I Have No Homeboy.
04-07-2010, 12:01 PM

It would be way cool if the lights were on for the launch then they turned them off as you were entering the first inversion. Your eyes would take time to adjust.
04-07-2010, 03:22 PM

sandmyth Wrote:It would be way cool if the lights were on for the launch then they turned them off as you were entering the first inversion. Your eyes would take time to adjust.
That would be nice...when i go on it my eyes are already adjusted to the dark and i can see the tracks a little.

http://www.youtube.com/user/iheartcoastersvids

check out my channel!!!!!
04-08-2010, 06:03 PM

I like FOF.I only wish the cars were a little bit bigger. 8)
04-13-2010, 03:43 PM

sandmyth Wrote:It would be way cool if the lights were on for the launch then they turned them off as you were entering the first inversion. Your eyes would take time to adjust.

I take my little key-chain flash light and flicker it on and off throughout the whole ride. Its amazing, because people on the ride think it's a strobe light installed to follow the ride. Not only that but they don't know who is doing it. It's bright enough that it makes things visible until I let go of the button and then it's dark again. It never gets old.
04-13-2010, 08:24 PM

I don't really like it with the lights all off. Tends to hurt more, and I like seeing the metal looming in the semi-darkness. Plus, not seeing anything is too much like the center back of Alpengeist 8) . Did ride once where they only had a few regular flourescent tube lights on and maybe EXIT signs, that was different. The flashlight thing made me think of another idea though, little white pinpoints of light like stars in space (would have to be directional or on black background bits if against the walls, to keep from looking like Christmas lights).

Great ride. Being about disorientation, the enclosure is an essential part of the layout.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-13-2010, 09:02 PM

I wish the park would bring back the old queue line pre show fun, I miss that. Kings Island still does their pre show while waiting in line, ours is used for the halloween maze.

I am happy with life
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-15-2010, 01:33 PM

Intimidator305kd Wrote:I wish the park would bring back the old queue line pre show fun, I miss that. Kings Island still does their pre show while waiting in line, ours is used for the halloween maze.

I agree. They need to make a new building for Alien Outpost. We discussed this in another thread. I like Alien Outpost but it wasn't big enough to close down a whole ride for a park that stays open until midnight on Saturdays.

As for Flight of Fear, I would much rather have it with the lights completely off. The first time I went last summer, they had a few lights turned on. The next couple of times I went, they had them completely turned off. When they are completely turned off, it allows me to use my little flash light and scare people on the ride. I shine it at the ceiling, supports, and the track.

Other people on the ride were asking the employees about the light, and the employees had no idea what they were talking about. The whole day they sit and gosip about a little strobe light on inside the spaghetti bowl, but they can't seem to phathom it.
04-15-2010, 04:29 PM

^haha I can just imagine the look on peoples faces as they look around in confusion Wink

"And just when you think you've had enough,
and your ready to get off the ride and take the merry-go round...
You change your mind, throw you hands in the air
and ride the roller coaster all over again."
Stacey Charter
04-15-2010, 04:37 PM

brewer97 Wrote:^haha I can just imagine the look on peoples faces as they look around in confusion Wink

You are 100% correct. I start doing the light when the train is in the tunnel. I have various ways to scare people. If I normally sit in the very middle of the train. As we are in the tunnel I can shine it at the wall or the ceiling. Either one creates a spooky feeling for riders because one second they see a light exposing the wall or ceiling, and next second they don't. As soon as we enter the spaghetti bowl, it gets better. I shine it at the supports.

If I sit in the very front, I can flicker it off on the track ahead of me. So once second they see the track as we go through the inversions and next second they don't. I normally hold the flash light down in my lap so that people don't know its me. It creates the special element of surprise.

When the ride finishes people are in "ahhhh" as to where the light was coming from. They either think it's a new feature on the ride. One time I got a large group of people interested in it. There were numerous people asking ride attendants about a strobe light that they experienced while riding. The ride attendants had the faintest clue as to what guests were talking about. This continued throughout a series of 5 visits.
04-16-2010, 05:31 PM

^thats hilarious Tongue they should have an onride camera to watch their faces :lol:

Stacey Charter
04-16-2010, 05:35 PM

brewer97 Wrote:^thats hilarious Tongue they should have an onride camera to watch their faces :lol:

Yea, that would be funny. All you would see if scared people on the ride. But its good the way it is. The ride attendants don't know it's me and the people on the ride don't have a clue on who it is. In one day I can get a good number of people interested in riding Flight of Fear trying to find the light. It's so worth driving 2 hours to do every weekend. Again, the reactions are priceless. And the last ride of the night is always the best.
04-16-2010, 05:37 PM

Martian's Agenda Wrote:
brewer97 Wrote:^thats hilarious Tongue they should have an onride camera to watch their faces :lol:

Yea, that would be funny. All you would see if scared people on the ride. But its good the way it is. The ride attendants don't know it's me and the people on the ride don't have a clue on who it is. In one day I can get a good number of people interested in riding Flight of Fear trying to find the light. It's so worth driving 2 hours to do every weekend. Again, the reactions are priceless. And the last ride of the night is always the best.

Well now I know if I see some random lights on the track, I wont go all postal Tongue

Stacey Charter