Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Offical Flight of Fear Topic
08-17-2013, 12:27 AM
RE: Offical Flight of Fear Topic
^ It's been like that for a while now. If you've noticed, the hanger area has a big AC blower on the ceiling, if you look up. So it's a sign that the building does have a sufficient AC unit. They probably never run it because they want to keep utility cost low. Either that, or it's been broke for a the last 10 years or so. And I agree with you about the ride crew. I've been there enough, where I know them by name and face and they know me. Most of them are cool, but they could be a little faster with getting trains out the station. Maybe the park encourages them to tell people when the ride is about to take off. Not sure why, because it spoils the fun.

As for the ambient darkness, that was taken away after the summer of 2009. When I-305 was being built, they cut the electrical line for FOF's neon floor lights. So we got one summer of darkness for FOF. However, earlier during the 2013 summer season the lights for FOF went completely off towards the end of the day. It happened two weekends when I went. I discovered that the lights were set on a timer and they would turn themselves off at 10:15pm. Sad to say, whoever the tech team is, must have decided to re-program the timer because they stay on much later past 10:20pm.

Many of us agree with you, Valatar. The ride is a lot better with the neon floor lights turned off. However, I have two theories as to why they keep the neon floor lights on. My first guess, is that someone on the park's operations management thinks it gives the ride a cute decoration. My second guess, is that they think it will encourage more families to ride it if they can see where they are going. Maybe younger kids get discouraged if they can't see the track.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-19-2013, 02:38 PM
I hear a lot of people coming out of there saying stuff like "man i'm not sure but I think we went upside down!" maybe a little bit of lighting helps people better appreciate the spaghetti bowl they're riding through.
08-19-2013, 10:44 PM
People are amazed starting from the launch, clean up until you slow down at the top. With the neon lights illuminating the track, it exposes that your inside a random building. That's when the feeling of suspense kinds of drops and your just coasting through the last few turns. If they turn the lights completely off, it's a lot better.

I have to tell these stories. But summer of 2009 was the best for Flight of Fear. The pitch black had people shook just standing inside the station. All you would hear are people asking, "Have you rode this before? What's inside there? Do things pop out at you? I'm so scared of the dark." Being launched down a tunnel into complete darkness just threw everyone's mind into oblivion. People were literally clinching onto their lap bars for dear life because they didn't know where anything was. Then when the train takes it sudden stop, people were so confused because they thought something was going to pop out at them. I remember hearing comments like "Is there someone standing there? Ohhhhh common, get the train moving. How long are we going to be in the dark?". It just gave the ride a whole new element of fear. It's still good regardless but it just doesn't feel the same as it did in 2009.

^ I really am leaning towards the belief that the neon floor lights are kept on to encourage people to ride. Believe it or not, there are still people out there who sleep with the lights on because they never got over their fear of the dark. I know it sounds silly, but it's true. Maybe if we all wrote a letter to park operations, they would cut them off again.
02-08-2014, 08:41 PM
Ran across an interesting article about how they solved voltage sag problems with FoF at Kings Island. No idea if KD has this but it's probable.

http://web.archive.org/web/2006092312315...l/king.htm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-10-2014, 01:22 PM
Quote:In addition to neighbor complaints, voltage sags created by LIM launches can have safety concerns on the ride itself: there have been several widely publicized cases where a LIM type ride failed to accelerate to sufficient speed due to the electrical grid’s inability to support such a large and cyclical load. In at least two cases, a LIM ride’s train got stuck in an inversion (upside down) and riders had to be rescued by local emergency response personnel.

uhhh when/how did THAT happen??
02-11-2014, 06:04 AM
^^-- That does sound like an exaggeration. Probably just a roll-back. Plus I think you'd have to push the train out. I've heard of TTD/Kingda Ka getting stuck at the top of its spike (not inverted), that's what they do then.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-12-2014, 12:29 PM
(02-10-2014 01:22 PM)greenspanDan Wrote:  
Quote:In addition to neighbor complaints, voltage sags created by LIM launches can have safety concerns on the ride itself: there have been several widely publicized cases where a LIM type ride failed to accelerate to sufficient speed due to the electrical grid’s inability to support such a large and cyclical load. In at least two cases, a LIM ride’s train got stuck in an inversion (upside down) and riders had to be rescued by local emergency response personnel.

uhhh when/how did THAT happen??

Batman and Robin the chiller some riders were stuck upside down due to "power loss" (lightning strike)
02-17-2014, 11:39 AM
What communities are near KI? With KD, this would be very unlikely to happen because no neighborhoods are near the park. There are some houses situated on the side of route 30, but not many. KD's FoF does experience roll backs at times, but it's nothing serious.

Any news on the park doing anything new to the ride or is it going to be the same ol' FoF?