Poll: Will the new paint and other improvements add years to the Shockwave?
1. Yes, but not many.
2. Yes, many more to come.
3. No, Big Bad Wolf ring a bell?
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Official Shockwave Topic
03-10-2011, 11:42 PM
Official Shockwave Topic
This year marks Shockwave's 25th anniversary. As many of you may know that Kings Dominion is repainting Shockwave. What other things would you like to see done with the ride and ride area? And does this mean Shockwave's life at the park was extended.

Quote:P.S. I have seen the new colors and I am not upset nor am I extremely happy. But it is ONE SOLID COLOR TRACK Big Grin

Even if you don't like the Shockwave, you should ride it for the 2011 season. Just to say you rode a rode on its 25th anniversary.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2011, 11:53 PM
Re: Shockwave 25th Anniversary
i have fond memories of Shockwave. I remember when it was first built. i was so psyched. i bought one of the painters caps they had for sale, with the tails down the back. i want to say it the hat was white with yellow and teal graphics, but my memory is quite foggy.

anyway, there are so few Togo's around, it weould be a real shame to see this ride go. i have no idea if it's a pain in the butt to maintain, though, and that's apparently what did in poor lamented Big Bad Wolf. Ol' shockwave certainly has particularly complex restraint system, but i doubt those mechanisms are subjected to as much strain as the shocks on the BBW trains.

can't wait to see the new color scheme!
03-11-2011, 12:04 AM
The Original colors were Dark Royal Blue track and Supportsand Yellow Rails

Although I would love to tell you what the new colors are, I don't think it is my place to do so. But I do think it will catch the Eye of passer-byers.
03-11-2011, 12:15 AM
deekbaxley Wrote:The Original colors were Dark Royal Blue track and Supportsand Yellow Rails

Although I would love to tell you what the new colors are, I don't think it is my place to do so. But I do think it will catch the Eye of passer-byers.

thanks for the tease........(maybe a hint) :wink:

2011 Stats: I-305: 4 Dominator: 7 , FOF: 2 Anaconda: 2 Grizzly: 0 Rebel Yell: 4 Shock Wave: 0 Volcano: 3
03-11-2011, 12:26 AM
VA_Coaster_Nut Wrote:
deekbaxley Wrote:The Original colors were Dark Royal Blue track and Supportsand Yellow Rails

thanks for the tease........(maybe a hint) :wink:

Lets just say its not like its ever been before :wink:
03-11-2011, 05:34 AM
Now that KD and Cedar Fair have spent money to repaint Shockwave, I expect the ride to stay for a long time. The park has other needs that I think would be addressed instead of painting a ride they planned on removing. Shockwave is a great ride for KD.
03-11-2011, 06:58 AM
maybe they painted it the color it is on the park map.
03-11-2011, 08:21 AM
Re: Official Shockwave Topic
We needed an official Shockwave Topic so I made it this one!
Just to remind people who were wondering about Shockwave's original colors...
[Image: Shockwave2.jpg]

I Have No Homeboy.
03-11-2011, 01:05 PM
KingsDominionGeek Wrote:We needed an official Shockwave Topic so I made it this one!
Just to remind people who were wondering about Shockwave's original colors...
[Image: Shockwave2.jpg]

Funny how in all my years going to the park shockwave was always black track/supports & yellow rails,I don't ever recall seeing it as royal blue.I heard on TPR that the possible new colors are green track with teal supports,I take it they're debutting KK's old trains from KI this season & they'll be keeping their original green color.

I'm one of the few who actually like the ride & hope it stays for a while longer,it has the distinction of being the first standup on the east coast & that's a title that KD probably wants to hold onto for a while.
03-11-2011, 01:38 PM
I really enjoy the whole standing up thing.. but honestly after that first loop the ride is just too jerky for me.. it's worse than Anaconda on my "gives-joni-a-headache" scale. Wish they could do something to make it feel a little smoother. My feet are always flat on the ground, comfortable, crotch thing is always at an alright height... I don't know. Does anyone else get tossed around a little?

2012:
Visits: 0 ;o(
03-11-2011, 05:15 PM
CoasterGirl Wrote:I really enjoy the whole standing up thing.. but honestly after that first loop the ride is just too jerky for me.. it's worse than Anaconda on my "gives-joni-a-headache" scale. Wish they could do something to make it feel a little smoother. My feet are always flat on the ground, comfortable, crotch thing is always at an alright height... I don't know. Does anyone else get tossed around a little?

Usually after repainting a ride it feels a little smoother. Take Volcano (and already smooth coaster) it was repainted last year for the unveiling of Intimidator 305. It rolls better when there are no holes or cracks in the paint. it also helps maintain the wheels when the track is smooth.
03-11-2011, 08:46 PM
I have never noticed Shockwave being that rough and jerky. Anaconda has caused me some pain, but not Shockwave.
03-11-2011, 08:55 PM
KDCOASTERFAN Wrote:Funny how in all my years going to the park shockwave was always black track/supports & yellow rails,I don't ever recall seeing it as royal blue.
I didn't think Shockwave was never black.

I Have No Homeboy.
03-11-2011, 10:22 PM
gooseKDfan Wrote:I have never noticed Shockwave being that rough and jerky. Anaconda has caused me some pain, but not Shockwave.

It Depends where you sit (stand). Usually the front and middle is where it is the smoothest. The back you feel as if you are going faster. Mainly cause you hit the transitions after the rest of the train pulls you through it.
03-12-2011, 07:34 AM
I wonder if they are doing like Carowinds did with Vortex's colors. They painted them the same color scheme as their Intimidator.

If you don't like your job, you don't strike! You just go in every day, and do it really half a**ed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson