Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Official Anaconda Topic
06-23-2011, 04:58 AM
Re: The Official Anaconda Topic
CoasterGirl Wrote:^you're right, Tasha. Absolutely should not have to be so much sharing on how to have a decent ride. I think Hurler should be the first coaster to be replaced, and then Shockwave (which of course isn't going to happen any time soon) but if there had to be another, Anaconda should be it.

I agree with you about the Hurler because it really isn't a fun coaster, more uncomfortable than anything. But I would hate it if they removed Shockwave and Anaconda.They were my first rollercoasters at Kings Dominion and I still ride them when I get the chance.

"We are crooked souls trying to stand up straight. Dried eyes in the pouring rain, well, the shadow proves the sunshine..."
The Shadow Proves the Sunshine- Switchfoot
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-23-2011, 10:42 AM
Anaconda was the first looping coaster I ever rode, so I will always have that memory. That being said, I have never liked this ride. The 1st time I rode it I was kinda dizzy when I got off. I've ridden it several times since then, and I have never enjoyed it. To me, the transitions just don't flow, it's rough, you have to hold your head/body a certain way to avoid feeling awful when you get off the ride, etc. I haven't ridden this ride in over 6 years and I don't plan to ride it again anytime soon. If the ride stays, I'm cool with that, if it goes, I'm cool with that.

07-02-2011, 11:18 PM
I rode the Anaconda today (I305 was closed and I get to ride one coaster per visit while the wife hangs out with our toddler). I rode it at about 9:00 pm and sat in the second to last seat. I have not ridden Anaconda since 1995 and it had never been one of my favorite coasters.

REVIEW:

The queue line at night is actually fun, winding, and on the lip of Lake Charles. You can hear frogs and crickets and see the water and the coaster.... lovely.

The station itself has a quaint look- reminiscent of when KD actually was into theming. Being a Saturday, the station was full of guests waiting to ride- I slipped through the congestion and was able to find a quick queue line for my seat.

From the station you are able to see the scaffolding on Volcano, I305, the Rebel Yell, and bits of Hurricane Reef.

As for the ride...

Obviously, being in the shadow of a Giga Coaster, makes Anaconda seem small by comparison (it is nearly 1/2 the height at its peak). The car ably turns the first corner down the first drop, through the tunnel and up the loops. The ride made it to the break run and then through what I consider the ride's floor exercises- twists and inversions and then back to the station.

When I got off of the ride I felt the "Anaconda Back and Neck Stiffness" that I'm sure most people complain about.

I was a big fan on Ron Toomer's work on BBW at BG and his LNM is my favorite coaster of all time, Anaconda came five years later and was considered a thrilling ride in its day. I'm for preserving as many Arrow Coasters as possible- because I find them delightful and historic. Anaconda has some good ideas- but seems cramped and short. The second half of the ride really suffers because it's too much, too hard, too soon. It's not that the ride is especially intense- it feels like it's moving through jello at times- it's just that the coaster never has the opportunity to breathe. Compare Anaconda's 2700 feet to LNM's 3400 and BBWs better utilized 2800 feet.

That being said, there is something visceral about having a coaster over the water- especially at night. Anaconda may not have fangs, but it does handle the water feature like it should, and is carries the legacy of one of Roller Coaster history's greatest designers.

2011: I305: 2 Rebel Yell: 6 Dominator: 3 Grizzly: 4 Scooby Doo: 3 Volcano: 1 Carousel: 8 Shockwave: 1 Avalanche: 5 Flight of Fear: 1 King Kobra: 3 Fried Oreos: 3: Your Mom: 1

BG: LNM: 3 Alpngeist: 2 Griffon: 1 Le Scoot: 1 Big Bad Wolf: 3 Mach Tower: 2
07-02-2011, 11:30 PM
VERY NICE Anaconda review! I agree with pretty much all of that!
I would ride Anacnoda every time I was there if they changed the restraints. That one spot after the MCBRs and before the corkscrews makes me dread the entire ride. I would love to be able to enjoy Anaconda without being fearful of a mild concussion. LoL

I Have No Homeboy.
07-16-2011, 01:44 PM
Well Anaconda removal rumors are on KD's Facebook, but since it's the GP who knows what to believe! Someone posted they heard KD is removing Anaconda and someone else said they heard the rumor, so I had to respond asking where they heard the rumor and the original poster said from the Anaconda ride op. KD usually responds to these silly posts saying that they are just rumors but they didn't this time, so could it be true?

If you think about it, it would make sense, it is the ride's 20th anniversary this year and it is an Arrow. GASM at SFGAdv was just removed last year, could Anaconda be the next to go? Did they purposely put 305 that close to Anaconda so when they removed it 305 would be the king over Lake Charles? Have they not repainted it because they plan on tearing it out?

As for what would replace it I think a flat ride where the station, photo booth, and exit ramp it would work. A flat ride would be great because the very large Congo only has one flat (Crypt) and it needs another one. Just think of the possibilities, a frisbee swinging over Lake Charles, a S&S Screamin' Swing swinging over lake charles, a Windseeker taking you to heights of 305 swirling over the lake (match FOF with the UFO on top!) hahaha.

Your thoughts?
07-16-2011, 06:39 PM
Would the ride ops really *Know*? It doesn't seem that they would. lf they WERE removing Anaconda - I wonder when they would announce it. I think it hurts but I'd rather see them improve it (new restraints?) than remove it.

I Have No Homeboy.
07-16-2011, 06:42 PM
Yeah that's what I was thinking... And I mean the way they just painted enough of it to look good from the 305 plaza and mostly everyone finding it painful it could actually be a slight possibility.
07-17-2011, 08:08 AM
alex4hokies Wrote:As for what would replace it I think a flat ride where the station, photo booth, and exit ramp it would work. A flat ride would be great because the very large Congo only has one flat (Crypt) and it needs another one. Just think of the possibilities, a frisbee swinging over Lake Charles, a S&S Screamin' Swing swinging over lake charles, a Windseeker taking you to heights of 305 swirling over the lake (match FOF with the UFO on top!) hahaha.

None of those would require removing the coaster. In fact another coaster could come over the lake from the other direction if they moved some of the water park.

The lake has so many possibilities (though, even though the lake can be drained, it still may complicate things). For example the lake might make a flyer type coaster truly worthwhile. I also suggested before a launched coaster boarding where RY excess queue is now, launching parallel to RY, top hat over RY, big curvey section over the lake (so the ride is watched from one section of the park but boarded in another), and coming back around the end of RY. Yeah, far fetched, but would impress.

I would like to see Anaconda improved. If nothing else, it is an interesting comparison to Dominator. The comments I hear on it include plenty of negatives, but I've also heard kids loving it. I used to ride it a lot back in the day, has it gotten worse or were standards just different and my body more capable? I once rode 14 times in a row without ill effects, but the time I went 18 I felt still on it for 3 days. Still the best 'screws in the park.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-17-2011, 10:39 AM
Yeah the hangtime corkscrews make the ride for me. And the only place its really rough is in that one transition. And if your near the back its not that rough really anywhere.
07-17-2011, 12:42 PM
Personally I will not believe any rumors from facebook that say one of the ride ops said it. I would not be very surprised to see Anaconda go at the end of the year. Maybe the ride ops were told to tell people to create excitement before the ride closes at the end of the year. Who knows? I would love to see something else in its place, either a flat or a new coaster, but a flat would seem to make the most sense.
07-17-2011, 01:04 PM
gooseKDfan Wrote:I would love to see something else in its place, either a flat or a new coaster, but a flat would seem to make the most sense.

I agree. The Congo is massive, but yet it only has the Crypt and Scrambler as far as flats go. The area just seems too coaster dominated. If they put a flat ride where Anaconda's station is that swung over the lake I would hope they would bring back the fountains and remove the wooden fence that surrounds the 305 plaza to open the area up a bit.
07-17-2011, 02:17 PM
If Anaconda does go, a water ride would be cool. There isn't a water ride in that part of the park.

07-17-2011, 04:16 PM
alex4hokies Wrote:The area just seems too coaster dominated.

Needs 2 more.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-17-2011, 08:00 PM
How many of you would go for removing Anaconda for an attraction like Maverick from Cedar Point? It's just a thought I had. I was looking at some pictures of Anaconda on Google and thought, maybe if they remove it, they have the space for a Maverick type of attraction. Or would most of you vote for keeping Anaconda?
07-17-2011, 08:09 PM
^I am not a big fan of Maverick and if that was the only choice, I say keep Anaconda.