Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Official Anaconda Topic
07-17-2011, 08:22 PM
Re: The Official Anaconda Topic
gooseKDfan Wrote:^I am not a big fan of Maverick and if that was the only choice, I say keep Anaconda.

I'm pretty sure most people would choose keeping it. KD does want to expand though and they may have a tough time doing this without removing older attractions. They could remove Hurler, but I'm pretty sure people enjoy that ride. Plus it's one of 3 other wooden coasters the park has. Congo on the other hand has more traffic, with popular rides being over there. Therefore something like Maverick would fit well there. The only possible amount of space would be Anaconda. But I understand people still love it, so why not keep it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-17-2011, 08:29 PM
if they did for say remove anaconda it would be cool if the a new ride passed through some rebell yells supports and threw I305's huge turn. you know incorporate a ride with many others.

2011 visit and ride count: visits:6 Intimidator 305:8 FOF:6Volcano:5 avalanche:1 backlot:5 Dominator:7 Shockwave:2 Hurler: 2 Grizzly:3 Rebel yell: 1 Andacanda: 2 Drop zone:4 Ricochet: 1 White water :3 Log flume:3 crypt :1
Xtreme skyflyer: 2
07-17-2011, 08:39 PM
Coaster Lover Wrote:if they did for say remove anaconda it would be cool if the a new ride passed through some rebell yells supports and threw I305's huge turn. you know incorporate a ride with many others.

I know what you mean. Wild One does that with Skull Mountain. It literally runs right threw the back of the huge Skull's frame. Creates a good scene when your watching it from a distance. Too bad Skull Mountain is being removed.

Incorporating two rides with each other, would work very well. I enjoy Rebel Yell's turn coming right up to I-305. It makes the ride seem more appealing when you come racing up near the long red track.
07-17-2011, 08:58 PM
Coaster Lover Wrote:if they did for say remove anaconda it would be cool if the a new ride passed through some rebell yells supports and threw I305's huge turn. you know incorporate a ride with many others.
I really like that idea, and Anaconda's area would be perfect for that!
07-17-2011, 09:18 PM
Years ago when Anaconda was being built, my uncle (he was working in landscaping at the time) stated that it was going to be built similar to (Steel) Phantom in which would go through Rebel Yell and back around to complete the course.

Caution! Venetians may strike at any time.
07-18-2011, 02:47 PM
They should tear it down and tear down Backlot at the same time. Put in a huge new water ride that would cause the Congo area to semi-flood with the splashdown.

Currently Banned
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-10-2012, 03:40 PM
Roanoke Valley rescue crews take training to new heights at Kings Dominion

Quote:RICHMOND, Va. --
When disaster strikes, timing and strategy can mean the difference between life and death -- a fact that certainly rings true for local technical rescue workers, who are called into some of the most difficult terrains and situations to help people, including one on Wednesday that literally threw them for a loop.

"It's really kind of out of the ordinary," said Lt. Robbie Hagaman, a spokesperson for the Richmond Fire Department and an organizer of Rescue Challenge 2012. "It really challenges them. They have to put their thinking caps on."

Wednesday afternoon, a team from the Roanoke Valley spent time at Kings Dominion for Rescue Challenge 2012 -- an extreme training session that puts their skills and teamwork to the ultimate steel test.

"It's excellent training for us," said Lt. Kelcey Branch with Roanoke Fire-EMS. "A lot of guys jump at the opportunity to come down here and do it."

Their mission -- rescue a "maintenance worker" (mannequin) who had fallen over the edge of the Anaconda roller coaster track and was hanging over the lake the ride is built around.

The team had to figure out how to ferry themselves and their gear across the lake to where the worker was trapped, then build a complex rope rig that would allow them to lower a rescuer down from the track and pull both him and the worker back up.

They had to work through several strategic bumps along the way, but say that's exactly why they do this type of training.

While it's not very likely they'll be doing many coaster rescues in Roanoke, the team says the skills they practiced are the same ones they'd need to use during any type of technical rescue.

"The techniques aren't different," said Branch. "What you need to be able to do to get the person down is not different."

Park staff says the training sessions are also beneficial to them, which is why they work with the agencies to do them, and can help make their rides even safer.

"We're able to see what [the rescue teams] do, what changes they need to make, and what changes we need to make, to make sure that we're all better prepared in the long run," said Gene Petriello, Communications Manager for Kings Dominion.

Nine teams from Virginia and Maryland participated in this year's challenge.

Click here to watch the video.
http://www2.wsls.com/news/2012/may/10/ro...r-1904094/

This was pretty interesting in my opinion and I found it cool that crews in my area took the 3 hour drive to do this. Last time KD was on the news here was when Intimidator 305 had its media day on April 1, 2010.
05-11-2012, 03:26 PM
all i kept looking at is how bad anacondas paint job is
05-11-2012, 05:24 PM
dominionboy Wrote:all i kept looking at is how bad anacondas paint job is

Really makes me wonder if it's days in the park are numbered.
05-11-2012, 11:47 PM
^ Maybe it just isn't in the budget because afterall the ride has a TON of supports and is over the lake. It wouldn't be cheap or easy to paint the ride and most of it is so far from a guest midway that you hardly notice the crappy chipping paint.
05-12-2012, 06:08 AM
Needs a camoflage paint job... the existing color could be used as a base.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-12-2012, 06:18 AM
personaly, I like it. Doesn't hurt too much, and i think it should stay at the park a little while longer: It's only 21 years old.

http://i.minus.com/iwyTHQY5JWEpB.gif
Coaster Count: 111
Favorite Steel: Intimidator 305 (Kings Dominion)
Favorite Woodie: Lightning Racer (Hersheypark)
05-12-2012, 06:49 AM
I actually like anaconda..just not the paint job. If they put some work into it I bet they could get a increase in ridership. Wouldnt be surprised if it gets a 25th aniversary demolition present similar to Big Bad Wolf.
05-12-2012, 11:55 AM
Anaconda is one of my favorites at the park, but I also have a bad feeling it wont be here too much longer.
05-12-2012, 11:32 PM
dominionboy Wrote:I actually like anaconda..just not the paint job. If they put some work into it I bet they could get a increase in ridership. Wouldnt be surprised if it gets a 25th aniversary demolition present similar to Big Bad Wolf.

Anaconda has had fairly long lines lately(not due to fastlane) with waits sometimes going well down the ramp close to the entrance.While it was my first looper when I first rode it 20 years ago it hasn't fared too well with age & that butterfly turn really kills the 2nd half of the ride so I wouldn't mind too much if it got replaced in the near future.