Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Cyclone in Coney Island.
04-26-2011, 09:13 PM
Cyclone in Coney Island.
Sad I heard that they want to get rid of the old Cyclone trains and put in new one. I think that they should keep the old Cyclone trains. Because this is a classic roller coaster and they should keep it the way it is. So how many of you feel the same way that I do.

Coasterguy
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-10-2011, 01:26 PM
Re: Cyclone in Coney Island.
they should keep them the same but you have to understand that those trains are getting old and unsafe.

Intimidator 305 Count: 15
07-02-2011, 07:38 PM
When I went in May, CIC was closed. Disappointing.

The need for speed is NOT a habit nor occupation, It's an Addiction!
07-14-2011, 08:14 AM
They better not get trains with seat belts and seat dividers :evil: !!!!-or else I'll tear it down and build another minor-league stadium with overpriced parking :twisted: !!!!!!
09-07-2012, 01:45 AM
As my 'home park' I definitely think they should've replaced the trains with even PTC cars (6 car train with 2 rows each car). A ride like that should not have 4 rows of seats in a single car. Even an out and back like Rebel Yell has 3 rows of seats per car, but the hills are fairly spread out as opposed to compact on Cyclone. The current cars are just too heavy and the weight should be distributed over more wheels and that would be better for the structure in the long run.

I would've also hope the head rests are taller (than on the current PTC trains) as you will get a hard whiplash feeling on the small hills. Imo, I consider the 'purists' (who don't want to change a thing) as masochists. Who in their right mind would want to subject themselves to such abuse from a dated design? Just because the ride would've gotten new trains, it doesn't mean it can't be given some of the same stuff that makes the current cars unique like the padded seats and Cyclone painted logos.

Finally, my advice to any of you who intend to ride this coaster: never let go of the grab bar in front of you in that last row (last car) of the train. You will get 'launched' out of your seat and land down hard.
If I'm riding it again, I'm picking any seat that's at the front of the cars as opposed to the last row on any of the 3 cars.

Also the ride ops there don't allow you to wait if you want the front or back rows (whatever row is open, that's where you must go). So if you really must ride the front, my best advice would be to go on a less crowded day or ask if the person waiting at the front is willing to let you ride with him/her or move to another seat.
09-07-2012, 08:58 AM
nyc_phil Wrote:... Also the ride ops there don't allow you to wait if you want the front or back rows (whatever row is open, that's where you must go). So if you really must ride the front, my best advice would be to go on a less crowded day or ask if the person waiting at the front is willing to let you ride with him/her or move to another seat.

That stinks. I hate assigned seating on coasters, though the only other places where I've seen it are some kiddie coasters, Scorpion at BGT, and Manta at SWO. I never got to ride Manta in the front or back row. They put me in row 3 the first 4 times I rode it and then row 6 the last time.

I'm redesigning all of the Coaster Crew Network sites throughout the spring. Please help me out by answering surveys and polls on our Coaster Crew Network News board!

My top steel coasters: 1. Top Thrill Dragster | 2. Manta (SWO) | 3. Montu | 4. SheiKra | 5. Volcano ... My top wooden coaster: El Toro (SFGAdv).
09-07-2012, 10:54 AM
Yeah it does and for the price it is now, I wouldn't ride it more than once other than to get a ride and call it a day.

Manta, it depends. For me being a single rider you could ask if you want to get a ride at the front or back if there's 3 or less people waiting at the spot. I think basically you need to ask the attendant first and sometimes they might hold you to the side and allow the other people behind to pass. I don't blame them as it is the park's biggest thrilling attraction, while Kraken is all the way in the back. But I've been lucky as I've gotten mostly last row rides and a few front row rides.

What I don't get about Kraken is why they require you to have a park wristband in order to get a reride. Its sister park BGT allows rerides, provided no one is waiting on line for my row. I asked if I could stay on Kraken if no one was on my line but was told I had to get off. So to me that's just thumbs down on Sea World for me. BGT is just so much better not because of the rides, but they aren't greedy/anal.
09-07-2012, 11:53 AM
Hopefully the Cyclone gets trains with single-bench cars and no headrests,seatbelts/dividers-and no assigned seating :roll: !!!
09-07-2012, 12:37 PM
If it had been up to me, I would've been in favor of the Millennium flyer trains as they've made Gwazi a whole lot more enjoyable compared to the PTC trains they had. But I don't think they can make 'radical' changes, so at best it's step by step and start with PTC trains and eventually hopefully MF trains.

I agree if the line isn't very long, I don't understand the problem with waiting for the front row. The day I went there was just enough people to fill 80% of the seats. I don't think I would've 'messed up' their system if I were to wait. I paid for the ride, at the very least I should be allowed to pick the front row if I wanted to. I don't know what would happen if the last seat was open and that was my only choice. I would outright refuse to get on as I am never riding that last seat till they change the trains.