Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Kings Island is a much better park then Kings Dominion
06-20-2011, 06:00 PM
Re: Kings Island is a much better park then Kings Dominion
KDFAN Wrote:
Lake Charles Guy Wrote:I don't know what you're talking about, Kings Island is a lot cleaner then Kings Dominion is.

If that's the case, then you're not doing your job very well!
LoL that's a good point there, Adam!

I Have No Homeboy.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-28-2011, 12:00 PM
KI vs KD
Both have their ups and downs. Overall, KD is better, but KI is not far behind by any means.

Kings Island:
Backlot Stunt Coaster: 6.5/10
Beast: 8.5/10
Diamondback: 9/10
Firehawk: 7.5/10
Flight Deck: 7/10
Flight of Fear: 8.5/10
Invertigo: 7/10
Racer: 8/10
Son of Beast: 5.5/10
Vortex: 7.5/10

Overall: 75/100 (75% ride average)

Kings Dominion:
Anaconda: 7/10
Avalanche: 6.5/10
Back Lot Stunt Coaster: 6.5/10
Dominator: 8.5/10
Grizzly: 8/10
Hurler: 5.5/10
I305: 9.5/10
Rebel Yell: 8.5/10
Shockwave: 7/10
Volcano: 9.5/10

Overall: 85/110 (77% ride average)

bgentwsox is BACK...if anyone actually cared.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0&feature=fvst
06-28-2011, 04:49 PM
Bgentwsox Wrote:KI vs KD
Both have their ups and downs. Overall, KD is better, but KI is not far behind by any means.

Kings Island:

Kings Dominion:

I read your "ratings" and wonder "what does a coaster have to be like to get a 1 out of 10?"

Saying that Backlot Stunt Coaster is in any way above average makes me wonder what an average, run of the mill coaster would have to be like. Backlot is not only an ugly roller coaster with gimmicky mini cooper trains but it really has next to nothing exciting going for it. A couple quick launches and some dips and turns- but it's nowhere near as thrilling as the Scooby Doo- and the Scooby Doo doesn't look like a low budget action movie set.

I hate the Hurler, but it's a much better ride than Backlot, no question about it.

If I were to go over your list and put the rides in categories I'd say it would look like this:

KD signature rides:

I305, Volcano, Dominator

KD classics:

Rebel Yell, Grizzly, Scooby Doo

Filler:

Hurler, Shockwave, Anaconda, Flight of Fear, Backlot, the mouse coaster, and Avalanche

-
I'm actually a Flight of Fear fan, but it's clear that KD doesn't really see it as a signature ride (as evidence by the fact that they haven't always been committed to keeping it open)

----

I've never been to KI and can't comment on that park- I just wanted to look at your ratings and ask you how you base your scores.

2011: I305: 2 Rebel Yell: 6 Dominator: 3 Grizzly: 4 Scooby Doo: 3 Volcano: 1 Carousel: 8 Shockwave: 1 Avalanche: 5 Flight of Fear: 1 King Kobra: 3 Fried Oreos: 3: Your Mom: 1

BG: LNM: 3 Alpngeist: 2 Griffon: 1 Le Scoot: 1 Big Bad Wolf: 3 Mach Tower: 2
06-28-2011, 05:15 PM
i guess i rate high, but i thought Back Lot wasnt terrrible, it was fun enough for me to consider going on it again. A coaster that is in the 5 range is getting pretty bad, 0-5.9 is an F, 6-6.9 is a D, 7-7.9 is a C, 8-8.9 is a B, 9-9.9 is an A.

bgentwsox is BACK...if anyone actually cared.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0&feature=fvst
06-28-2011, 05:16 PM
cc99999 Wrote:
Bgentwsox Wrote:KI vs KD

Kings Island:

Kings Dominion:

I read your "ratings" and wonder "what does a coaster have to be like to get a 1 out of 10?"

Saying that Backlot Stunt Coaster is in any way above average makes me wonder what an average, run of the mill coaster would have to be like. Backlot is not only an ugly roller coaster with gimmicky mini cooper trains but it really has next to nothing exciting going for it. A couple quick launches and some dips and turns- but it's nowhere near as thrilling as the Scooby Doo- and the Scooby Doo doesn't look like a low budget action movie set.

I hate the Hurler, but it's a much better ride than Backlot, no question about it.

If I were to go over your list and put the rides in categories I'd say it would look like this:

KD signature rides:

I305, Volcano, Dominator

KD classics:

Rebel Yell, Grizzly, Scooby Doo

Filler:

Hurler, Shockwave, Anaconda, Flight of Fear, Backlot, the mouse coaster, and Avalanche

-
I'm actually a Flight of Fear fan, but it's clear that KD doesn't really see it as a signature ride (as evidence by the fact that they haven't always been committed to keeping it open)

----

I've never been to KI and can't comment on that park- I just wanted to look at your ratings and ask you how you base your scores.

To say that Hurler is better than Backlot is outrageous! Backlot is fun... has dumb looking Mini Coopers... but its fun.

Intimidator 305 Count: 15
06-29-2011, 10:12 PM
Honostely,I felt like Kings Island was similar to Kings Dominion but without the charm and atmosphere Kings Dominion has.

KDFansite Assistant General Manager
Owner & C.E.O of Baillie Design Studio
06-30-2011, 07:23 AM
^and my opinion is that the rides at KI are not as good as at KD. While Diamondback is a good coaster, I don't rank it higher than I305, Volcano, or Dominator.
07-31-2011, 07:33 PM
I am from Kings Island, I live an hour north of Cincinnati. Now in my opinion Kings Island is better for one main reason that being that we've got more rides and were a bigger park. That being said Kings Island can learn a lot from Kings Dominion. KD's atmosphere is a lot better than KI's, KD actually has some themeing, for example the Congo area was very good looking, opposed to KI chopping all of rivertowns trees down and demolishing the themed buildings to put in a hypercoaster themed as a snake (by themed as a snake i mean its name and the front of the train is a snake head), it doesn't even fit in rivertown. Now for example the Congo has some scenery and rides that fit, such as Volcano and the Crypt. I mean KI never thought of putting a ride in a mountain and i though it was pretty cool. Now from what i saw (note that i was only at KD for 3 days in June) I saw that many of KI's rides are in better shape than KD's, the inside of volcano could be cleaned, I thought Rebel yell was gonna fall apart beneath me, and I305 was making some awful noises and kept breaking down. Now that I've said all of that I think that both parks are very nice and neither is "trashy" or "run down" but they do have their differences and I think they can learn from each other.
08-01-2011, 07:09 AM
^ Well said! It's really nice to have someone post an open minded honest post - that's not bashing either park.

I Have No Homeboy.
11-26-2011, 07:52 PM
When I went to KI over the summer, it was really good, but I thought something was missing.........I'm not sure, it was a great park (D-Back and Beast all the way), but there was just something incomplete about it.

Coaster Count: 73
Park Count: 13
MilForce|Bizarro|Toro|B-Dash|TTD|KingdaKa|D-Back|Nitro|Maverick|Steel Force