Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
"Wild Eagle" Dollywood's New B&M
06-07-2011, 07:39 PM
"Wild Eagle" Dollywood's New B&M
Opening in March 2012 at Dollywood is an unknown B&M roller coaster. Footers are being poured, land has been cleared, and Blue track and Tan supports are being delivered onsite.

Debates are now raging over what style of coaster it will be. It has been said that it will be a "first." I will go ahead and say it will be a 110-ft Wing coaster themed to eagles.

Debate and Speculate.

The need for speed is NOT a habit nor occupation, It's an Addiction!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2011, 07:51 PM
Re: "The Sky is Not the Limit" Dollywood's unknown B&M coas
KDCoasterMAN Wrote:I will go ahead and say it will be a 110-ft Wing coaster themed to eagles.

That's what us over at ThrillNetwork are thinking as well...

Supposedly (by the guy who snapped those photos of the track/supports) park employees mentioned how this would rival Cedar Point next year. I know that park employees like to mess with people sometimes but the samething being said by two different workers might be something to consider.

Also, this is VERY exciting for me personally as I visit Dollywood several times a year. I'm season passholders to KD and Dollywood.
06-08-2011, 10:18 AM
^I like how he says "it will rival Cedar Point's".... But what exactly will CP getting?

NO...

The coaster to beat in 2012 will be Hershey Park's new coaster. A 212 foot Intamin mega coaster very similar to I305 and Mega lites.... Fanboys rejoice!

06-08-2011, 11:14 AM
KDCoasterMAN Wrote:The coaster to beat in 2012 will be Hershey Park's new coaster. A 212 foot Intamin mega coaster very similar to I305 and Mega lites.... Fanboys rejoice!

Agreed. Finally getting a mega lite here in the states. I'm sure Hershey Park's new coaster will definitely make my top 5 once I ride it but I don't think a wingrider would make my top 5... But I guess you can judge until you ride them or atleast see the concept art! Haha!

2012 is looking to be a GREAT year for the east coast. Dollywood, BGW, Hershey Park, Cedar Point (maybe), and Canada's Wonderland (maybe).
06-08-2011, 12:49 PM
Hershey, BGW, Dollywood, Cedar Point, Canada's Wonderland are gonna be the places to be. Dollywood is only 4 hours from me for about 8 months of the year and Hershey is about 4 hours from home. And BGW... I have a season pass!

If the CP coaster is worth my money then will I take a trip north.

06-08-2011, 06:27 PM
Looks like 2012 will be the year for my long awaited Dollywood trip... not to mention getting up to CP as well.

I'm just gonna say "Best Park Employee since 2009..."

The artist formerly known as The Situation, who was formerly known as Travis, who may go back to Travis...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-12-2011, 06:19 PM
I"m going there in a few weeks, I'll try to get some construction pix. 8)

coaster credits: 361
06-12-2011, 06:46 PM
^ So will I... I'm going the week of July 4th like every other year (tradition). It is always a great time except for the traffic in Sevierville, Pigeon Forge, and Gatlinburg on 441 (Smoky Mountain Parkway).

As far as construction goes, the track and supports are being stored directly behind Thunderhead at the moment. The whole left side of the SkyZip hill is a construction site that reaches all the way back to the Slidewinder queue. For those of you who aren't familiar with the park, thats a large area!
06-16-2011, 10:56 AM
Is Dollywood worth going to at all? I'm not a Dolly Parton fan or really for that matter, into country folkiness. I looked at their website and had mixed feelings- some of the family type attractions (such as the rope obstacle course) looked cool and unique- but the park seemed to really be skimpy on the thrills. i read somewhere that somebody called the tennessee tornado one of Arrow's best coasters- is it really that good? i love the LNM and couldn't imagine a better coaster from them.

2011: I305: 2 Rebel Yell: 6 Dominator: 3 Grizzly: 4 Scooby Doo: 3 Volcano: 1 Carousel: 8 Shockwave: 1 Avalanche: 5 Flight of Fear: 1 King Kobra: 3 Fried Oreos: 3: Your Mom: 1

BG: LNM: 3 Alpngeist: 2 Griffon: 1 Le Scoot: 1 Big Bad Wolf: 3 Mach Tower: 2
06-16-2011, 11:31 AM
cc99999 Wrote:Is Dollywood worth going to at all? I'm not a Dolly Parton fan or really for that matter, into country folkiness. I looked at their website and had mixed feelings- some of the family type attractions (such as the rope obstacle course) looked cool and unique- but the park seemed to really be skimpy on the thrills. i read somewhere that somebody called the tennessee tornado one of Arrow's best coasters- is it really that good? i love the LNM and couldn't imagine a better coaster from them.

Wait for 2012 if you want thrills. Although Thunderhead, Mystery Mine, and Tennessee Tornado are great, a B&M should balance their selection quite nicely...
07-07-2011, 03:26 PM
In case anyone cares, here is my trip reports from Tuesday and today including construction updates for 2012 B&M.

Quote:Well I went to the park today and saw lots of 2012 construction... I got some pictures, but nothing really new besides a bulldozer right beside SkyZip flatening out the top of the ridge. One interesting thing did happen, which was I got to sit next to an employee while I was on Mystery Mine (he was doing the hourly inspection) and he said the park wasn't telling them much at all just that it was going to be "really big, the biggest in the park" and "it is going to be very unique". He did say that he heard it would be the tallest and longest coaster in the park, but couldn't 100% confirm it. Sooo nothing really new being said, but just backing up what some of us already thought. Atleast he was truthful and didn't make stuff up like other park employees... I will be back Thursday and report any other new construction and/or rumors.

Great day at the park, I stayed from 9 until 3! Awesome time, not too crowded or hot either either! Only complaint of the day was the not-friendly staff in the Country Fair section... never had that happen at Dollywood.
Anyways, ride count: 2 rides on Barnstormer, Mystery Mine, Thunderhead, and Tennesee Tornado. 1 ride on Slidewinder, River Rampage, Daredevil Falls, Blazing Fury, Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, and Sky Rider. 14 rides in 6 hours plus eating and taking pictures with a group of 8 people isn't too bad!

Quote:Just got back from the park and lunch about an hour ago. Had another great time! But as for a construction update, they are working very quickly. The ridge they just started clearing out when I was there Tuesday now seems to be the focus of the workers at the moment (the spot on the left side of the SkyZip platform). I'm not sure if there is going to be a massive footer, a trench, or even maybe, just maybe, a tunnel up there because the bulldozers were digging quite a ways down and the construction workers were going down so far you couldn't see them. So for anyone going to the park soon keep an eye out on that. Also, down at the base of the hill there is a lot of work going on behind the SkyZip building. They have carved out a lot of the hill and I'm thinking it will eventually have a concrete wall up against it. They have also poured a concrete building in the shape of a box down there which is more than likely going to be a part of the station for electrical, storage, ect. I would love to share my pictures, but I forgot my camera cord back at home, so I'll upload them Sunday if someone else doesn't upload theirs. All employees are saying they haven't heard much if any at all. All you hear basically is different versions of this... "they are telling us it is going to be the biggest and like no other coaster in the park".

Also, I noticed this while in the Barnstormer queue today (since I rode it 5 times), there is a sign that says "To most people the sky is the limit, but to pilots it is home." I just kind of found that ironic since the slogan for 2012 is "The Sky Is Not The Limit". And, if you ride on Barnstormer facing the Slidewinder, you can obviously tell that there is in fact clearing all the way down by the train tracks (while at the top of swing).

Like I said, had a great day at the park for having a group of 8. Stayed from opening at 9 until 1 o'clock. No complaints today as the Country Fair section employees were much more friendly! Also, I must compliment the woman working at the Barnstormer, she was the nicest thing. Very energetic and friendly trying to get the riders pumped up for the ride, she even let us pick what "stall" (seat) we wanted on the ride.
As for ride count... 5 rides on Barnstormer, 2 rides on Blazing Fury, Tennessee Tornado, Mystery Mine, and Thunderhead. 1 ride on Daredevil Falls and Mountain Slidewinder.
08-11-2011, 02:23 PM
The new teaser site for the rumored B&M wingrider Wild Eagle is now up. You have to enter your email and zip code to get to the actual site.

http://www.dollywood.com/dollywood2012/landing.php
09-04-2011, 08:33 PM
As rumored, Dollywood's Wild Eagle B&M wingrider is confirmed!

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/vie...3#p1086053

Quote:DOLLYWOOD UNLEASHES $20 MILLION
WILD EAGLE STEEL COASTER IN MARCH 2012;
FIRST WING COASTER IN THE U.S. TO SOAR ABOVE SMOKY MOUNTAINS

PIGEON FORGE, Tenn.—Dollywood’s 2012 season will be a historic one as the Tennessee-based theme park introduces the new $20 million Wild Eagle steel wing coaster, the first of its kind in the U.S.

Experiencing the freedom of flight, the new coaster’s innovative floorless design positions riders seated four abreast in a forward-facing position, with two riders actually seated on the “wings” along either side of the coaster’s track with nothing but air above and below them. “After the honor of the 2010 Applause Award, we knew that all eyes were on us at Dollywood to see what we’d do next,” Dolly Parton said. “Wild Eagle celebrates not only the majestic bald eagle but also my beautiful Smoky Mountains which folks will get a bird’s eye view of as they soar high above Dollywood. I’m just thrilled that Dollywood’s Wild Eagle is the only place in the entire country where folks can get their feathers ruffled on a coaster like this!”

Perched on the park’s highest peak, Wild Eagle rises 21 stories into the sky. Taking off from the Wilderness Pass area, riders experience the sensation of flight as the coaster’s massive track swoops and soars along a journey that measures 3,127 feet. Wild Eagle reaches a top speed of 61 miles per hour and maneuvers four inversions including a giant loop, a “zero-G” roll, and a giant flat spin.

Wild Eagle’s nearly two-and-a-half minute journey includes a plummeting 135-foot first drop. Located 210 feet above the coaster’s loading station, the ride provides spectacular views of the Smoky Mountains terrain below. Each coaster train consists of seven cars which carry four passengers for a total of 28 people per train. Each vehicle features an imposing bald eagle with piercing eyes and broad wings outstretched for flight.

Wild Eagle is the largest single capital investment in Dollywood’s 26-year history. The park’s development team is collaborating with Switzerland-based Bolliger & Mabillard (B&M), the world’s premier coaster manufacturer. Pioneers in ride technology, B&M has built 11 of the 20 highest-ranking steel coasters in the world, according to Amusement Today magazine.

The ride’s name celebrates the bald eagle, a raptor whose population has increased in recent years due largely to the efforts of the American Eagle Foundation (AEF). Headquartered at Dollywood for 20 years, the AEF is home to Eagle Mountain Sanctuary, a 1.5-million-cubic-foot natural outdoor aviary with the largest presentation of non-releasable bald eagles. Dollywood is one of the AEF’s largest benefactors, supporting the not-for-profit organization’s work to preserve and protect birds of prey.

Wild Eagle joins Dollywood’s award-winning lineup of coasters. Thunderhead, twice named the world’s best wooden coaster, consistently ranks among the world’s top five. It was built in 2004. Mystery Mine, a 1,811-foot-long steel coaster, opened in 2007 and was named Theme Park Insider’s best new theme park attraction the same year. In addition, Dollywood is a two-time Golden Ticket Award winner for Best Shows and three-time winner for Best Christmas Event.

Dollywood was recognized in 2010 with the theme park industry’s most prestigious honor, the Applause Award. The Applause Award honors a park whose management, operations and creative accomplishments have inspired the industry with its foresight, originality and sound business development.

Based in the picturesque Great Smoky Mountains, Dollywood is a 150-acre family adventure park open nine months a year (late March through December) and offers more than 40 rides and attractions; award-winning live entertainment featuring country, bluegrass, gospel and mountain music; and a dozen crafters authentic to the East Tennessee region. A family-friendly vacation destination, Dollywood also includes the 35-acre Dollywood’s Splash Country, voted America’s “Must-See Waterpark.” Dollywood offers all-inclusive vacation planning with a variety of overnight lodging options. For more information, call 1-800-DOLLYWOOD or visit dollywood.com.

Fierce Facts!
Type: Steel Wing Coaster
Track Length: 3,127 feet
Top Speed: 61 miles per hour
Inversions : Four
Ride Elements: Giant Loop, Zero-G Roll, Inclined Immelmann, Giant Flat Spin, Camel Back, Spiral, Eight Curve
Top of Lift Height (above entrance grade): 210 feet
Top of Lift Height (above station grade): 190 feet
First Drop : 135 feet
Ride Duration: 2 minutes, 22 seconds
Passengers per Train: 28 (seven cars, four passengers each)
Seat type: Cantilevered – wing design
Manufacturer: Switzerland-based Bolliger & Mabillard
Color scheme: Tan columns with blue track; eagle-themed cars
09-04-2011, 09:26 PM
http://dollywood2012.com/ has now changed to include everything you would want to know about WILD EAGLE.
09-08-2011, 06:15 PM
I know that its safe, but am I the only one who thinks that they would feel extremely unsafe on the wing seats? I guess thats the point. If you feel unsafe, then your adrenaline goes way up.

"We are crooked souls trying to stand up straight. Dried eyes in the pouring rain, well, the shadow proves the sunshine..."
The Shadow Proves the Sunshine- Switchfoot