Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Mach Tower biggest mistake since Drachen Fire
06-20-2011, 12:39 AM
Mach Tower biggest mistake since Drachen Fire
Mach Tower may be all that once its finally built and running - but you have to think that Busch Gardens is feeling a little bit snake bitten by this ride. I'm not a fan of the type of ride, and in the photos I've seen of it, it looks cheap... that being said, they need to replace the gondola because they broke it during a test (when they didn't have the shock absorbers installed). I'd be surprised if they have this thing up by the end of the season with all of the delays. Last I heard it's going to be unopened until after July 4th weekend.

Disaster.

2011: I305: 2 Rebel Yell: 6 Dominator: 3 Grizzly: 4 Scooby Doo: 3 Volcano: 1 Carousel: 8 Shockwave: 1 Avalanche: 5 Flight of Fear: 1 King Kobra: 3 Fried Oreos: 3: Your Mom: 1

BG: LNM: 3 Alpngeist: 2 Griffon: 1 Le Scoot: 1 Big Bad Wolf: 3 Mach Tower: 2
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-20-2011, 07:24 AM
Re: Mach Tower biggest mistake since Drachen Fire
I feel bad for the people who go up there to try it out and have no idea that it isn't open yet.

I Have No Homeboy.
06-20-2011, 11:22 AM
I have not heard any ads for Mach Tower lately, but they were advertising heavily for it a few weeks ago. They never should have advertised until it was ready.
06-25-2011, 11:09 PM
Octoberfest really is crammed up with flats and kiosks to make you forget that the BBW is gone. You can still see the footers and if you take the Rhein River Boat ride, you can see where they are clearing for the new coaster.

I miss BBW so bad. Sad

As for the Mach Tower, it really doesn't look all that scary. The Drop Tower at KD looks damn imposing. The Mach Tower looks kind of... quaint in a way. It fits well with BG's aesthetic as they go for beauty over the look of sheer terror... but I expected it to look much, much taller.

2011: I305: 2 Rebel Yell: 6 Dominator: 3 Grizzly: 4 Scooby Doo: 3 Volcano: 1 Carousel: 8 Shockwave: 1 Avalanche: 5 Flight of Fear: 1 King Kobra: 3 Fried Oreos: 3: Your Mom: 1

06-26-2011, 09:21 AM
really makes my wonder why they put Mach Tower in at all considering that the height was limited so much. why not install a ride that is more unique to the park and not questioned about installing such a short drop ride.
07-02-2011, 07:40 PM
I like that BGW attempted to build a world class attraction such as Mach Tower, but I wouldn't have gone with Moser as the manufacturer.

The need for speed is NOT a habit nor occupation, It's an Addiction!
07-05-2011, 05:17 PM
I remember the rumor about a "drop tower" ride that had the bottom half enclosed in a castle-looking building. That would have worked so much better. Mach Tower, as good as it looks in its location, will always be compared to DT at KD. And for the people that ride drop rides (usually the thrill-seakers), it will lose most of the time.

I'm just gonna say "Best Park Employee since 2009..."

The artist formerly known as The Situation, who was formerly known as Travis, who may go back to Travis...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-05-2011, 06:59 PM
I don't think people will compare the two. They are similar, but BG is such a great experience I don't think most people will ride it and think, gosh- this really sucks compared to the one at KD.

07-05-2011, 11:35 PM
I've had friends text me while at BGW this season saying that the tower looks short and that the ride doesn't even look very exciting (compared to KD's) because the brakes go up so high... Unless you guys haven't noticed almost all of the GP thinks anything and everything is better/scarier when it is taller.
07-05-2011, 11:50 PM
I know what you are saying re: bigger and scarier- but I think for BG that doesn't hold true. People ride the boat ride and nobody complains that it doesn't go upside down. It's a classic flat ride that's been at BG for generations. If Mach Tower is a good ride when it's completed, I doubt people will dwell too hard on comparing the two. BG is an escape destination. It is effective in making you feel like you are somewhere else completely. I do not think of the Anaconda and its many inversions when I'm riding the Loch Ness Monster. I do not think of the White Water Canyon when I ride the knock off Roman Rapids.

I know as of late I sound more like a BG fanboy- which, I guess I am, but I don't think people generally compare rides from park to park like some of the member's of this forum and members of the theme park enthusiast community. I will say Mach Tower is more attractive than most of the rides of this type and it's got to be what? two, three times higher than the Elmo Drop Tower.

07-06-2011, 04:11 AM
I hear what you are saying BG fanboy, and I agree with you that most people will not compare the boat ride and roman rapids, but I think people will compare thrill rides. While I would not compare LNM to anything at KD, I would compare Mach Tower and Drop Tower because they are very similar. Just like I compare Alpengeist to Carowinds Intimidator because they are very similar. If BGW would install a Giga Coaster, people would compare it to I305.
07-06-2011, 09:54 AM
I think people compare rides a lot, even if they are not theme/amusement park enthusiasts. I've often hear people at KD and BG say a ride is similar to so and so back home and I doubt all of them are theme/amusement park enthusiasts.

07-13-2011, 09:17 AM
BG was testing Mach Tower yesterday - they even gave you a little note when you entered the park:

Today, you may notice activity at our new attraction, Mach Tower. We are conducting manufacturer testing as we prepare for the ride's opening. As soon as all testing stages are complete, we will announce an opening date for Mach Tower. We appreciate your patience and encourage you to visit our Facebook and Twitter pages, or visit our website <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.buschgardens.com/va">www.buschgardens.com/va</a><!-- w --> for the latest information on the ride's opening. Thank you.

07-13-2011, 07:31 PM
I wonder how much interest there is in Mach Tower these days. There seemed to be a lot of interest back in May when the ride was expected to open, but not hearing much about it now. Did BG miss their chance to create excitement with Mach Tower?
07-13-2011, 08:41 PM
I see some interest on BG's Facebook page and while in the park, I do hear people talking about it and asking when it will be open. I think when the ride actually opens, BG will be able to generate interest. They are even offering special quick queue and tour packages with ERT on Mach Tower.