Re: Mach Tower biggest mistake since Drachen Fire
alex4hokies Wrote:^ Thank ya! :mrgreen:
Your welcome! Big Grin

Intimidator 305 Count: 15
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-18-2011, 11:44 AM
Several people on FB said it is open today.

08-18-2011, 12:59 PM
HuaracheKid Wrote: Several people on FB said it is open today.

It's about time! Big Grin

Intimidator 305 Count: 15
08-21-2011, 12:18 PM
I rode this on Friday. The line wasn't too bad - I would estimate 20 minutes but I only had to wait literally 2 minutes because they had one open seat and I was a single rider!

When you get to the front of the line, you are given a pass of one of four colors - red, yellow, green, or blue. Then, you are told to stand in the taped off box that corresponds to your color. When you are about to board, you give your pass to another ride op, stay in your color group and are given instructions - no loose articles, nothing in your hands, etc. Then the ride op tells the colors where to sit - right above your seat is a circle that corresponds to the color of the pass you were given. The restraints are over the shoulder and at the bottom of the harness is a latch plate that you pull and buckle into the latch below - it's like a seat belt. The ride ops come around, check the restraints and make sure you don't have anything in your hands.

The ride begins. You are told to hold on to your Lederhosen and you slowly climb to the top of the tower, rotating as you go up, listening to German music. You reach the top and your seat vibrates. Drop time! The ride is over, you unbuckle your restraint, and exit the ride.

Overall, I was disappointed with Mach Tower. Yes, I knew it wasn't going to be as tall or as fast as Kings Dominion's, it wasn't meant to be a Drop Tower clone, it's designed for families not thrill seekers, taller and faster doesn't mean better, etc. but I wasn’t that pleased with the end results. I really enjoyed the rotating as you go up - this part is cool - you get a nice view of the park and if you are prone to stressing out going up, I think this would take your mind off of it. I didn’t get the point of the vibrating seats, but ok. The drop is way too short – just as you start to feel that free falling sensation rush, the brakes kick in and the ride is over. For me, it isn’t much of an adrenaline blast and the overall experience is overrated and overhyped; however, I think this ride is perfect for Busch Gardens and it fits in nicely with the theme park, specifically Germany. I bet it will be a crowd favorite as well. I've heard rumors that it may be open for Christmas Town and I bet it will give a great view of the park, along with the Sky Ride.

08-22-2011, 12:42 PM
Full disclosure on this post; I'm a dirty BG fan, but I still enjoy KD a lot so I'm not going to start a BG vs KD thing (KD has plenty of rides I wish BG would get). I'm also not a big enthusiast of drop towers, as in I'll normally ride one if it it has no line.

With that out of the way, I will say that MT is a mediocre ride that could have been much better, and it has some room for improvement. What's supposed to happen is that you go up the tower while the carriage rotates. Once you get to the top, the on board music stutters, the seat vibrates, and then you drop. The "special effects" are there to give the rider a sense that it's malfunctioning, which isn't really advertised that well to (I assume) surprise the guest. My main problem is that it executes the special effects so poorly. The music just sounds like the CD is skipping and the vibration just feels like your phone is going off. If they could fix those by maybe playing sinister music right before it drops and improving the vibration somehow, it could be a better ride.

As far as the height, which I'm sure is the most important thing when it comes to big fans of the ride type, it is shorter. Since I'm not a big fan of the ride, I personally couldn't tell /that/ much of a difference in time. Part of me wishes it was higher for a better view, but it's not BG's fault that it's so short. Unlike KD, Busch has very strict restrictions set onto it by both James City County and Kingsmill as far as rides so the 250 foot range is the most you'll ever get unless Kingsmill goes bankrupt (which me and many other BG fans hope happens).

Another reason that MT wasn't as good as it could have been is that MT is actually a prototype from Moser. That's why it took so long to open and maybe why the brakes go so high up. One of the rumored reason they decided to do this was BG had financial incentive to go with a prototype. Somebody in this thread asked why they didn't go with Intamin. Long story short, BGW has a bad history with them and hasn't used them since Pompeii.
08-31-2011, 04:36 PM
I really enjoyed Mach Tower! It might be my favorite ride at BGW! Big Grin

Drop Tower is the best ride at Kings Dominion!