Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Official Hurler Topic
07-06-2011, 08:56 PM
Official Hurler Topic
I think we needed one. All hurler operations, thoughts, and experiences can go here!

Ill start..

I remember my last visit to kd a couple summers ago i rode hurler 4 times in a row and thought i had broken a rib. But on the third ride i realized my bud was no in pain, and decided that it was because he was sitting on the right of me. So i switched seats the 4th ride and didnt slam into the side on the first turn of death. The rest of the ride i was able to actually enjoy, and it had great ejector on the hills. I loved the ride even when it was painful tho. It was such a rush just going down the drop and bracing for that gawd awful first turn, then laughing the whole ride hysterically. I think the ride is hated on too much and people need to just accept that it is rough, and always has been. Its not even that rough after the first turn. There is truly no other wooden coaster like it! (except for its clone of course but that doesnt count)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-06-2011, 09:06 PM
Re: Official Hurler Topic
Well, I thought there was a Hurler Topic. I've got three thoughts about it
-I hate it.
-I hate it.
-I hate it.

Intimidator 305 Count: 15
07-06-2011, 09:11 PM
I applaud you for riding it 4 times in a row because I find Hurler boring and painful. It isn't a bad coaster, its just way too rough to enjoy. If it was a little bit smoother it could probably be just as popular as Rebel Yell, but because of the fact that it is the roughest roller coaster in Kings Dominion, it is probably the next to be torn down. Like I said, it isn't a bad coaster, but I still wouldn't make room in my day to ride it.

"We are crooked souls trying to stand up straight. Dried eyes in the pouring rain, well, the shadow proves the sunshine..."
The Shadow Proves the Sunshine- Switchfoot
07-06-2011, 10:04 PM
switchfootrox Wrote:I applaud you for riding it 4 times in a row because I find Hurler boring and painful. It isn't a bad coaster, its just way too rough to enjoy. If it was a little bit smoother it could probably be just as popular as Rebel Yell, but because of the fact that it is the roughest roller coaster in Kings Dominion, it is probably the next to be torn down. Like I said, it isn't a bad coaster, but I still wouldn't make room in my day to ride it.
I think it's way smoother than Grizzly.

I Have No Homeboy.
07-07-2011, 07:15 AM
^Its not even an opinion whether its smoother than grizzly or not. Its fact. Everybody just hates the first turn.
07-07-2011, 10:24 AM
The Hurler used to be my favorite wooden coaster at the park. You would get good air time on the bunny hops and I never found it to be all that rough. We rode it 8 times in a row one night and only got off because it was closing time. To me, they ruined the ride when they added the trim brakes at the bottom of the first hill. We still ride it, but the Grizzly, especially at night, is my favorite wooden coaster now.

To me, a wooden coaster is supposed to be a little rough and jerky - that's part of the charm. I like my steel coasters to be smooth, but the wooden ones to be wild and crazy.

07-07-2011, 10:51 AM
Let me rephrase. I don't mind Hurler. In fact the last time I went I did ride it. I just meant that if I had a choice between Hurler and pretty much any other roller coaster(except for the kiddie ones and Ricochet) I would choose the other rollercoaster. Its not a bad roller coaster, I just don't like rough rides.

"We are crooked souls trying to stand up straight. Dried eyes in the pouring rain, well, the shadow proves the sunshine..."
07-07-2011, 11:12 AM
It's funny because I normally ride it when I go to KD. But I don't like it.

Intimidator 305 Count: 15
07-07-2011, 11:20 AM
Wait they TRIMMED IT!?
07-07-2011, 11:28 AM
^Very bottom of the drop... Its just one huge brake sitting there at the bottom. the good thing about that brake is that they can easily turn it off to have the brake open. Its not like Intimidator were they would have to get a crane and a bunch of wrenches to take off the trims. I didn't feel it at the beginning of the year when I went. I need to go back

2011 visit and ride count: visits:6 Intimidator 305:8 FOF:6Volcano:5 avalanche:1 backlot:5 Dominator:7 Shockwave:2 Hurler: 2 Grizzly:3 Rebel yell: 1 Andacanda: 2 Drop zone:4 Ricochet: 1 White water :3 Log flume:3 crypt :1
Xtreme skyflyer: 2
07-07-2011, 11:30 AM
Aagh noo such good airtime ruiiined! Lol whatever. Better than trims on i305
07-07-2011, 04:21 PM
I really like Hurler, it is not to bad, just the turns. Grizzly is much much rougher.

Team Classy #1!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-07-2011, 04:45 PM
Josh Wrote:It's funny because I normally ride it when I go to KD. But I don't like it.

I am exactly like you. I don't like it very much but I do tend to ride if I can just to say I rode ALL of the rides.

07-10-2011, 09:51 AM
The trims ruin it. It's sort of a "nice" ride in the front now but that's about it. The ejector air is killed. The first drop doesn't seem as good now either, maybe that's because no one was on it last time I rode. Untrimmed, the first turn required a lot of "technique" to handle, but it was still awesome.

I'd rather see them burn it out a couple of years and then taer it down than run it like this. Unless they're preserving it for rebuild. I showed this before and this video doesn't really show it well, but the retracked turn looks just too similar to Hurler's: http://www.rockymtnconstruction.com/ttdemo.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-10-2011, 11:38 PM
I just rode The Cyclone at SFNE and they added quite a bit of that topper track, and it is incredibly smooth. However it made the ride much more boring, I just think that that ride is flawed with the re profiled first drop. But the track does the job to make it smoother.