Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Official Hurler Topic
07-12-2011, 07:28 AM
Re: Official Hurler Topic
^^-- Good input ... I did wonder if Topper Track might be too smooth and take the edge off some coasters, but not for Hurler's curves. The first turn wouldn't be boring, it would be sweet. With the trims off and less energy loss, might even be faster.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-12-2011, 08:02 PM
Yeah cyclones topper trak rid of all weird wooden shaping on the second drop that made it have airtime. But i dont think hurler needs it. I rode it today and it was pretty smooth and the trims barely bother me because it still has great airtime on the hills.
Find all posts by this user
07-12-2011, 09:54 PM
The trims aren't bothersome in themselves, not being on the first drop or anything, just their result. The whole thing just seems slow and I didn't have to wonder if that's airtime or just wants to be. I realize, and should emphasize, the ride has always been somewhat variable in ride and very much by seat. If it's loaded so much you have to wait, it might be worth it.
07-16-2011, 12:08 AM
Dead at KD today so we rode it a couple times in a row, three times in the back and once in the third car. The ride really is a hot mess- a mild drop hill followed by a ton of ridiculous body battering turns. I don't know if Paramount got cheap when they hired PTC to design this ride or if it was a problem with space. The ride could have had something more going for it if the turns weren't so tight and one directional. Hurler truly has to be the worst modern wooden coaster I've ever been on.

2011: I305: 2 Rebel Yell: 6 Dominator: 3 Grizzly: 4 Scooby Doo: 3 Volcano: 1 Carousel: 8 Shockwave: 1 Avalanche: 5 Flight of Fear: 1 King Kobra: 3 Fried Oreos: 3: Your Mom: 1

BG: LNM: 3 Alpngeist: 2 Griffon: 1 Le Scoot: 1 Big Bad Wolf: 3 Mach Tower: 2
07-16-2011, 08:35 AM
The company that built Hurler (I believe its called International Custom Coasters) has only built two coasters ever, our Hurler and the version at Carowinds, according to RCDB. As bad as our Hurler is, the version at Carowinds is worse in basically every way.

I'm just gonna say "Best Park Employee since 2009..."

The artist formerly known as The Situation, who was formerly known as Travis, who may go back to Travis...
07-16-2011, 12:35 PM
^How so? What's different with the other one?

And I actually like Hurler. Just had to get that off my chest. :lol:

2011 Visits: 8
i305: 35
Volcano: 9
Dominator: 6
Flight of Fear: 3
Rebel Yell: 8
Anaconda: 2
Hurler: 2
Backlot Stunt Coaster: 2
Ricochet: 4
Avalanche: 2
Grizzly: 5
Ghoster Coaster: 4
Shockwave: 0
07-16-2011, 09:01 PM
Yeah i like hurler its running really smooth. Try riding second to back on the right side and you wont get bashed at all. You obviously havent ridden Georgia Cyclone at SFOG or Wildcat at Lake Compounce. What other wooden coasters have you ridden?
07-16-2011, 09:31 PM
CPmillenia94 Wrote:Yeah i like hurler its running really smooth. Try riding second to back on the right side and you wont get bashed at all.
LoL that's the seat I ALWAYS sit in!

I Have No Homeboy.
07-17-2011, 07:43 AM
Previous to trims I don't find it boring at all. Good drop, although very little time to get your hands down and hold on. INSANE jack-hammer first curve requiring lots of leg use to properly brace oneself. 3 completely out of seat hops, another intense curve, etc. The elevated curve breaks it up a little and the last has an interesting contour to it. (It also wouldn't be boring with a smooth first curve, as long as it has speed and the roughness doesn't fall in the middle, uncomfortable but not crazy enough. Like now.)

As to the Carowinds version, actually that's where I discovered the magic of the Hurler. My one visit to that park was mid-90s, and at the time Hurler was by far the best coaster in the park. Thunder Road was in such bad shape I wondered if it would even make it back to the station, and the biggest steel was Vortex. Only reason we even went was they opened 2 weeks before KD back then. Maybe theirs is even more worn out now, from those days.

One thing about the coaster, the construction is interesting in its efficiency. The central structure is complex but the rest is just repetitive and mostly low to the ground. There are places where those 2 parts are very close but do not connect. While the entry is kind of long, the wood coaster fan must feel somethng walking through it like that.
07-17-2011, 10:30 AM
I always ride wooden coasters close to the front. I heard it was smoother!

Intimidator 305 Count: 15
07-17-2011, 12:37 PM
cc99999 Wrote:Dead at KD today so we rode it a couple times in a row, three times in the back and once in the third car. The ride really is a hot mess- a mild drop hill followed by a ton of ridiculous body battering turns. I don't know if Paramount got cheap when they hired PTC to design this ride or if it was a problem with space. The ride could have had something more going for it if the turns weren't so tight and one directional. Hurler truly has to be the worst modern wooden coaster I've ever been on.
They could have been limited by space since they tried to use the same footprint at both parks. Obviously KD has plenty of space, but I don't think that is the case at Carowinds.
07-26-2011, 10:13 PM
I was riding Hurler today and right when we were about to drop my waist harness came up a couple clicks... has this happened to anyone else?

Intimidator 305 Count: 15
08-09-2011, 04:14 PM
Josh Wrote:I was riding Hurler today and right when we were about to drop my waist harness came up a couple clicks... has this happened to anyone else?

I know you posted this a while back but...that's happened to a few times, but never before the drop. It usually happens to me towards the end, but I don't mind it. It makes it more thrilling. What does does bother me is sometimes on the Rebel Yell, the lapbar comes down and crushes my legs.

"We are crooked souls trying to stand up straight. Dried eyes in the pouring rain, well, the shadow proves the sunshine..."
The Shadow Proves the Sunshine- Switchfoot
08-12-2011, 09:09 AM
To me, the carowinds version was rougher and slower. The trims hit a lot harder than they do at KD. Also, the station looks as though a tornado has taken half of it out. Thunder Road was just as rough as well.

I'm just gonna say "Best Park Employee since 2009..."

The artist formerly known as The Situation, who was formerly known as Travis, who may go back to Travis...
08-12-2011, 09:41 PM
michaelcollier1 Wrote:I really like Hurler, it is not to bad, just the turns. Grizzly is much much rougher.

What's with all the grizzly bashing? Hurler is just plain rough period & even if that one turn weren't the main problem the overall layout just isn't anything to write home about.