Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Carowinds Trip Report 7/12-7/13/11
07-13-2011, 08:03 PM
Carowinds Trip Report 7/12-7/13/11
My son and I left for Carowinds about 5:00 am Tuesday and arrived 15 minutes after the park opened. After parking in the season passholder lot courtesy of our Platinum Passes, we entered the park. We went right to Intimidator and waited about 5 minutes. Next we rode Carolina Cyclone and their Drop Tower, which is much shorter than KD's and only holds 16 people. There was no wait on either of these rides. Even though it was only 11:00, we were way overheated because it was already in the 90s and humid, so we went to the waterpark, which was crowded. For the next 5 hours we would cool off in the waterpark and then go ride a few rides before returning to the waterpark. We rode Boo Blasters, ThunderRoad, and Afterburn. We left around 4:00 to check into the Comfort Inn right next to Carowinds parking lot. After dinner and cooling off, we returned to the park around 8:00 to check out their Snoopy's Starlight Spectacular.

Today we returned before the park opened and were first in line for Nighthawk. We also rode Afterburn, Carolina Cobra, and Scream Weaver. After picking up some souvenirs we left before noon and drove home.

Carowinds is a very nice park to visit. They do not have as many thrill rides as KD, but they have a good selection. My favorites are Afterburn and Intimidator. Carowinds seems to have more choices for food, and their Planet Snoopy puts KD's to shame. The kids area at KD seems to be an afterthought while Carowinds' is very well laid out and has many more and better rides. Carowinds nightly fireworks show lasted twice as long and was much better.

This was my second time visiting Carowinds and I enjoyed it as much this time around. If you have never visited I would recommend taking a trip to Charlotte, NC to check it out.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-13-2011, 08:48 PM
Re: Carowinds Trip Report 7/12-7/13/11
I agree Carowinds is a nice park, just lacking a lot of thrills. For example, last time I visited I only rode Intimidator and Afterburn. Those two coasters put the rest in the park to shame. Intimidator can be good and bad, depending on the trims and how bad the rattle is at the turnaround. If the ride had a second half like the other hypers it would be much better IMO, but that second part is a complete bore... Afterburn is so forceful and intense which I why I love it and miss the old B&M designs. Afterburn is still the best in the park IMO and makes my top 5. They REALLY need a launch coaster and/or an Intamin. I agree that they have a much better Planet Snoopy but I feel like other parts of the park lack charm unlike KD. Their nightly fireworks might be twice as long, but our Snoopy's Starlight Spectacular is MUCH better planned, placed, and organized.

BTW, nice trip report. Big Grin
07-13-2011, 09:28 PM
Carowinds must not have any competing parks nearby because they are lacking in quality rides. I like the park and plan on going back, but I am surprised by how few rides they have. You look at KD and talk about I305, Dominator, Volcano, Drop Tower, FOF while Carowinds really only has Afterburn and Intimidator. I guess a park owner won't spend big bucks if there is no competition.
07-15-2011, 08:18 PM
Hard Rock Park was supposed to present competition to Carowinds, but we all know how that turned out...

I visited Carowinds last year and share many of your opinions. I did really enjoy their Intimidator, especially in the back row. Afterburn packs a huge punch for such a compact layout, and is easily the best in the park. Carolina Cobra, with the new trains, is very good as well. But that's really all there is to the park.

I'm just gonna say "Best Park Employee since 2009..."

The artist formerly known as The Situation, who was formerly known as Travis, who may go back to Travis...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-17-2011, 12:32 PM
I think Nighthawk is over-rated because it moves pretty slow. If you compare it to the newer "flying" coasters like Manta at SeaWorld Orlando, there is nothing special about it at all, yet it has the longest lines in the park. My favorite rides at Carowinds are Afterburn, Intimidator, and Thunder Road.
07-18-2011, 08:41 PM
Nighthawk was having those lift hill issues when I went down there last year. And it really didn't look that special anyway, especially after seeing what B&M did with Manta and Tatsu.

I'm just gonna say "Best Park Employee since 2009..."

The artist formerly known as The Situation, who was formerly known as Travis, who may go back to Travis...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-19-2011, 02:11 PM
if it was up to me I would not have ridden Nighthawk, but my son likes it so we rode it.