Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
1st trip to KD 8.8 and 8.9
08-13-2011, 11:46 PM
1st trip to KD 8.8 and 8.9
Just got back from a road trip that included KD and wanted to post my thoughts on KD overall. Just note I'm not too big on giving numerical reviews on coasters.

Monday:
Got to the park at 10 and waited for the rope to drop. Right when it did we hustled over to Volcano and got the first ride in the front seat.

Volcano Review: The ride was awesome. Loved the themeing on the coaster. Everything about the coaster just goes together so well. The first launch was really great followed by the sweeping turn. The second launch into the immelman type element was awesome. I loved how it sort of launches up and to the side. The next couple of inversions were all great for some hang time. Overall a world class coaster.

After riding volcano I was going to go on FOF but could't resist i305 just standing there so we hit up Intimidator 305 because it was the primary reason for taking the trip.

Intimidator 305 Review: Overall this coasters is freaking phenomenal. The lift is super quick and before you know it you are cresting my second favorite drop on a coaster (behind El Toro). The turn right after the drop has to be one of the best elements on a coaster for me. The feeling of plummeting 300 feet then being thrown into a high g force turn is amazing. We had fun blacking out and trying to resist blacking out using g-loc techniques. The second hill after the blackout is exactly what the doctor ordered. This hill delivers some superb ejector air. Following the second hill is that really quick bunny hop turn thing. I love this element. The feeling of turn, airtime turn was so much fun. Then the twistys start. Thank god for the restrains that KD now has on intimidator. These restrains makes the twistys so much fun. After the first two twistys is my only (minor) gripe with the ride, the trimmed air time hill. Other than that trim the finale twisty into high speed turn airtime hill brake element is excellent. After many rides on intimidator 305 I can safely say it is tied for my overall favorite coaster (el toro) and it is my #1 steel. The ride speeds up as the day goes on. I would say seat #2 is my favorite because it gets all the perks of the front seat with a fraction of the wait.

After i305 we hit up FOF

FOF: Fun indoor bowl coaster. I have been on Jokers Jynx, this coaster is a good family type ride. Not the best but it give KD a nice variety.

Moving on from FOF we headed over to...

Backlot Stunt Coaster: Very fun family ride. Great themeing. Got on in a 3 train wait. Excellent ride for KD.

After that we went to the other side of the park

Rebel Yell: Only one side was running. This disappointed me just because I hate when parks have coasters that can race and they only run one side. My home park is gadv and out of all my visits I have seen rolling thunder race maybe once or twice. Other than that gripe it was a great classic coaster. A little bumpy but nothing terrible.

Next was

Drop Tower: Holy crap. I loved this ride. Once it got to the top and dropped there was so much floater air. The drop also seems so long. I kept expecting to hit brakes and we just kept falling. Excellent ride. More parks need this. Much prefer this to a S&S tower.

Then it was time for some wooden coaster action

Hurler: Rode it walk on in the front seat. Very smooth for a wooden coaster. Some good moments. Overall a pretty solid wooden coaster.

After hurler we ate lunch. Going back into the park it was time for...

Dominator: Having ridden a few floorless coasters in my day (Medusa, Hydra, Batman:TDK) This was a refreshing mix up. The drop was great. The loop.... excellent. I really enjoyed the two turns leading up to the cobra roll. The ride was really hauling so it was very smooth. This was probably my favorite floorless coaster.

After dominator it was midday and hot as heck so we bummed around the water park for a while. We thought as a waterpark it was a little weak. We didn't ride too much, just did the wave pool and the lazy river trying to keep cool. We had fun, nothing really to write home about though. After the water park....

We did the eiffel tower which was a really cool part of the park. Nice cool breeze up there. After that we started marathoning I305. In between that we got another volcano front seat ride in as well as a ride on....

Anaconda: I must be sick because I have a soft spot for Arrow coasters. I'm actually really upset that the Great American Scream Machine was demolished at gadv. I think this sickness is related to the fact that the restraints fit me really well which results in little to no headbanging. That being said i thought the drop was really cool, I love me some arrow loops. Overall it was just a really fun scenic coaster for me.

Somewhere in the day I also rode

Avalanche: This ride was an excellent family coaster. I have been dying to ride a bobsled coaster since my days of RCT. It was kind of scary too because there was no track. Fun fun ride.

Overall my first day in the park was great. Managed to get 8 rides on i305 including one night ride. The night ride was EPIC!!!!!!

Tuesday:

Got to the park early and prepared for another i305 marathon. As soon as the rope dropped we hustled to i305 and got the first front seat ride of the day. Then we continued to ride i305 in any seat until 5 rides were totaled. By the end the ride op's knew us. By ride 5 my shoulders were aching from being thrown into the restraints and this was a great problem to be had because I was able to get 5 rides on i305 in 1 hour. After the marathon we hit up rides we didnt get the day before like....

Grizzly: I thought this ride was gonna be rough, rode it in the middle and actually really enjoyed it.

Ricochet: This is one of the better wild mouse coasters I have been on. The big first drop was nice. The cars and restrains were really nice so I never felt the feeling of being thrown into the sides in a way that hurt me.

The Crypt: Holy crap does this thing spin. I rode it facing away from volcano. I enjoyed the ride but it is def a one ride type of ride.

Ghoster Coaster: Fun pint sized coaster. Not too much to say.

Shockwave: Easily the scariest ride of the trip. I rode near the front. Let me just say ejector airtime standing up is SCARY!!!!! It was not a rough ride but it was forceful.

Overall by the end of the trip I totaled 15 rides on Intimidator 305. That was the main point of the trip.

KD Review: This park is fantastic. Even though ride operations were usually one train it was all that was needed. Lines were consistently small. The main crowd was families which was a nice contrast to the crowds gadv draws. The park was clean and tidy. The park has an excellent mix of coaster and flat rides. The coaster collection is truly very balanced. The only type of ride I feel is missing is an airtime machine. I305 has airtime but its all about the laterals. Other than that I LOVED my time at the park. Those of you that call KD your home park are very lucky. Yes they park has room for improvement but as it stands, the park is fantastic!!!!!!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-14-2011, 07:06 AM
Re: 1st trip to KD 8.8 and 8.9
Thanks for that great Trip Report, very detailed! Most of us that call KD home know how lucky we are to have such a great park.
08-14-2011, 10:13 AM
Great trip report! I'm glad you enjoyed the park and Intimidator 305 so much! Big Grin
08-14-2011, 10:28 AM
Great TR! Thank you for giving Hurler and Shockwave some love! :wink:

I Have No Homeboy.
08-16-2011, 09:10 PM
Both hurler and shockwave are underrated so yeah its nice to know you enjoyed it. And did you ride Intimidator in the back at all? Because that would probably change your mind on the park needing an airtime machine, and would put the drop as better than el toro. I personally disagree with the park needing an airtime machine. Intimidator has airtime on its first drop, first hill, little hill, both transitions, both hills after the trim, and the next transition and the brake run transition. It has more/ better airtime than any ride at Busch gardens. Apollos chariot has alot of airtime but most of it is very light floater which i find very unsatisfying after riding a ride like intimidator. Intimidator is the airtime machine they needed. What i think they need is a newer wooden coaster.
08-16-2011, 09:55 PM
Great Trip Report! Me and you do exactly the same thing in the morning. Volcano, I-305, FOF! Big Grin

Intimidator 305 Count: 15
08-21-2011, 10:23 PM
I did ride Intimidator in the back seat probably 4 or so times and the drop didn't seem to compare to El Toro's drop in the back seat. That being said it has been 2 years since I have been to gadv. I am planning on going in a couple of weeks so then I can re-evaluate my statement. From what I remember El Toro's drop in the back has so much whip to it. This whip is so scary. On Intimidator I didn't feel that fear of death. I also failed to mention that I have also ridden S:ROS at SFNE before its transition to Bizarro and I felt that I305 > SROS.