Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
California's Great America is being sold.
09-20-2011, 07:00 PM
California's Great America is being sold.
Screamscape Wrote:In the back of my mind, I had a feeling that the clock was ticking for California’s Great America. The signs of a complete lack of interest in the park’s owners (Cedar Fair) were everywhere, mixed with the removal of the park’s newer coasters. The terrible fear most had was that we were seeing another Geauga Lake style decline of the park, removing one good ride after another, unless the park was on it’s last legs… then it would be closed entirely. Fortunately, a new twist to the story has arrived that should ensure the park’s survival… for the next few years at least.
Cedar Fair has officially sold California’s Great America to a real estate investment group called JMA Ventures, for $70 million. From what I gather from JMA’s website, it looks like they own a few ski resorts in the area, but this will be their first park. Two parks actually, as the management contract to operate Gilroy Gardens was also said to be included in the deal.
Cedar Fair, now free of the park and the headache of the pending merger of the site with the new 49ers Football Stadium in the parking lot, will be able to use that $70 to pay down some substantial debts, putting them in a much stronger financial position.

Intimidator 305 Count: 15
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-21-2011, 03:34 PM
Re: California's Great America is being sold.
Thank God that Cedar Fair still seems interested in KD with adding i305, Dominator, and now Windseeker. If this happened to KD, I would fall apart... I know they aren't closing it completely, but I doubt it will last much longer.

"We are crooked souls trying to stand up straight. Dried eyes in the pouring rain, well, the shadow proves the sunshine..."
The Shadow Proves the Sunshine- Switchfoot
09-21-2011, 03:37 PM
If that happened to KD, I would be extremely mad. But I would have to go to Carowinds.

12-06-2011, 04:57 PM
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/...17088.html

It's being bought back!

01-31-2012, 05:21 PM
As well all know, the sale didn't happen, so Cedar Fair still owns the park so like KD & Carowinds, CGA also got a new website today! http://www.cagreatamerica.com/
08-15-2012, 06:27 PM
Great America is the closest amusement park too me and I noticed what you were saying... But it seems that Cedar Fair will hold on to the park for a bit longer.
08-16-2012, 10:52 AM
They're already getting their long-rumored new wooden coaster next year.

I'm redesigning all of the Coaster Crew Network sites throughout the spring. Please help me out by answering surveys and polls on our Coaster Crew Network News board!

My top steel coasters: 1. Top Thrill Dragster | 2. Manta (SWO) | 3. Montu | 4. SheiKra | 5. Volcano ... My top wooden coaster: El Toro (SFGAdv).
09-07-2012, 01:16 AM
Before I offend some folks, I just want to say would it have been a big loss if the park was sold? I mean in the past years CF has been removing coasters from that park and with the local county pretty much preventing any expansion, I have to side with CF's original idea to sell the park. They could've used that money to help pay off their debt and focus on their other parks.

Now with that said, I guess this is a nice way of reinvesting in the park with a nice wood coaster.