Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Christmastown 2011 TR
11-28-2011, 09:21 AM
Christmastown 2011 TR
Went Sunday (11/27/11) .. day was very warm for November and there were reports of turning some people away on (Black) Friday, so I was somewhat concerned about crowds. There was no problem, everything I did was walk-on or next ride. I've only ever gone on Sundays and the only time there was a big line was when I went before dark, and then it thinned out later. They even close earlier on Sundays than Fridays.

Christmastown is Busch Gardens' unashamedly Christmas themed event featuring a highly decorated park, limited rides, themed food and shopping. Even mixed drinks, I noticed.... It does not appear the majority come for the rides. The longest lines I saw last night was Flight of Lights (skyride round trip) and there are usually big lines for the Gloria show.

For those who want to ride, one coaster and some other rides does not spell a full day of fun. Nevertheless, for those whose idea of a good Christmas present is a few more rides before the end of the year, it's the only game in town.

My impression of the ambience was better this year, subjective but it helped that I went around the "left" side of the park to see Polar Pathway -- Pompeii redecorated -- which was impressive. In Italy they decorated the small trees and the bushes rather than plonking little Christmas trees everywhere and it was nice. And also more rides are now towards that side.

In 2.5 hours I managed to get in:
Da Vinci's Cradle -- been a long time, surprised to feel sort of airtime bursts along with the laterals.
Flying Machine -- mini Triple Spin type ride, too slow and short.
Mach Tower -- not as good a drop as KD's but the rotation going up takes full advantage of the view, especially good now.
ALPENGEIST.! -- the purpose of the visit. Up to now Christmas Town ran Griffon, which is great, but not as well-rounded a coaster as Alpengeist, plus it would be sort of redundant with the Tower running (Last year they also had the water freezing, although the weather so bad I doubt anything would have been running then). Anyway 'Geist is now lacking in airtime due to heavy midcourse brakes, but it still rocked enough. 12 rides in 2 sessions, 3 front row, one barefoot. I meant to get back over to Mach but instead rode out the night here due to lack of time planning.
Le Catapault (Scrambler) -- my second ride on one of these ever. Slightly queasy after but it was fun.
Fried Cheesecake with Brownie and syrup -- less than $4, decent.
Caribou Train Station -- avoided the walk back, barely caught it!

Overall a worthwhile trip. They have shows, Santa and all that for those interested too (I've seen O Tannenbaum which is good but just automated/outdoors). Their local vendors area is interesting. BTW, they are not running Darkastle this year. $25 admission plus the usual parking, or $12.50/free parking with current season's pass.

Links:
http://www.christmastown.com/homepage.aspx
http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/vie...0#p1115486
http://bgwfans.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=477&page=21
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-13-2011, 09:06 PM
Re: Christmastown 2011 TR
2nd visit last Sunday. Got inside about 3:15, had to walk around through Ireland as the other way was blocked off and the train wasn't running yet. Some lines for the main 2 rides, although later on they were less crowded than just walking around. Outside rides closed about 6:00 due to cold. I tried Europe in the Air since it was still open. Motion sim rides tend to make me sick, but with this one it seemed they were trying to make you sick. Otherwise it was kind of cool :roll: .

Might consider going the last week if it's warm.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-13-2011, 09:52 PM
Great Trip Report!! :mrgreen:

Intimidator 305 Count: 15
Find all posts by this user
12-29-2011, 09:03 AM
I went the second Friday it was open!

We went straight to the Mach Tower, which had like NO wait, just for the seats to get back to the bottom! We rode it about 7-8 times in a row!

Alpengeist had NO wait also, so we just changed seats and rode with our ski masks on, Tacolita and Estabon! lol Big Grin

Sky Ride had about an two hour wait! So we didn't ride that! I LOVED the Polar Pathway, which was the best light thing there! The Penguins were cool, and it was sweet to see Verbolten from MT! Overall, 9.5/10! Big Grin

Drop Tower is the best ride at Kings Dominion!
Find all posts by this user