Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Official Alpengeist Topic
01-31-2012, 03:32 AM
Official Alpengeist Topic
Back in 2007 Alpengeist was easily my favorite coaster... Not because of the ride experience, but because of the people working it. That year I managed to ride it over 100 times, and had the first and last public rides of the year on it. Was an amazing time with some amazing people.

I spent a lot of days at the park in 2007.

President of the El Dorado Historical Revidalization Board
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-31-2012, 05:24 PM
Re: Official Alpengeist Topic
Alpengeist is definitely my favorite coaster as BGW... obviously for the intensity! Also, it has an awesome theme.
Find all posts by this user
01-31-2012, 09:15 PM
Much better during the winter but it's not bad

[Image: rl_107900.jpg]
09-06-2012, 12:33 AM
I like it, but I just don't like Cobra rolls on inverted coasters. I wished it has a batwing like its sister coaster Montu. The other problems are the hard stop at the mcb and the end with just a helix seems bland as they could've added a 7th inversion, but just decided 6 was enough. So despite its impressive height, I would still pick Montu over Alpengeist.
09-06-2012, 08:28 PM
nyc_phil Wrote:I like it, but I just don't like Cobra rolls on inverted coasters. I wished it has a batwing like its sister coaster Montu. The other problems are the hard stop at the mcb and the end with just a helix seems bland as they could've added a 7th inversion, but just decided 6 was enough. So despite its impressive height, I would still pick Montu over Alpengeist.

Yeah, the only parts of Alpie that I really like are the twisting first drop and the zero-g roll. I love zero-g/heartline rolls anyway, and I think they are part of why I love to marathon Volcano at KD in the mornings. Other than that, I totally prefer Montu. Burying the inversions underground, almost Nemesis-style, makes the ride much more disorienting. And the Immelman, batwing, and ending are just classic.

I'm redesigning all of the Coaster Crew Network sites throughout the spring. Please help me out by answering surveys and polls on our Coaster Crew Network News board!

My top steel coasters: 1. Top Thrill Dragster | 2. Manta (SWO) | 3. Montu | 4. SheiKra | 5. Volcano ... My top wooden coaster: El Toro (SFGAdv).
09-06-2012, 11:14 PM
Yup. I've rode Montu for a few years now and there will always be a few people taken off guard by the corkscrew before the train heads back into the station. Another positive for Montu is their mcbr doesn't 'kill' the momentum of the ride like on Alpengeist. I still like Alp, but it's that 2nd half that makes me disappointed in the ride.
09-07-2012, 03:25 PM
At one point, Alpengeist was my favorite coaster at BGW, it's long, fast, and intense, but lately Apollo's been delivering incredible rides, plus riding Montu really spoiled me.

Montu has a far better layout with better pacing. While Alpengeist delivers all its impressive elements in the first half, Montu has a few punches and kicks, but the lets you breathe between elements, giving it a bit of a surprise. The batwing easily beats out Alpengeist's cobra roll hands down.

Theming-wise both are on par with each other, although Montu has more theming spread out.

Alpengeist's MCBR doesn't seem to affect the ride as much as some people claim. Yes there is a slight jerk, but I don't feel it really ruins anything. That being said, Montu gets bonus points for being not only smoother, but far quieter than Alpengeist. I actually had a good conversation on the Montu's lift hill, whereas with Alpengeist, you can barely hear the person next to you.

Overall, Alpengeist is a decent ride, but Montu easily beats it.

Artwork: http://dvn225.deviantart.com - http://www.facebook.com/dans.awesome.artwork
09-07-2012, 11:29 PM
netdvn Wrote:Alpengeist's MCBR doesn't seem to affect the ride as much as some people claim. Yes there is a slight jerk, but I don't feel it really ruins anything.

The first year -- or maybe even less time -- it barely even hit that brake and the air on the following drop was excellent, similar or better than Dominator's. But I might feel mashed in the corkscrews on the outer seats, so there is a reason for running it this way. (I've realized at least one of the corkscrews is in fact zero-G, but at the same time consider it nothing like what a zero-G should be like, when you twist that fast you can only interpolate that it would be zero G right between the middle seats.)

I have a strangely variable experience on this ride. Sometimes I totally love it, sometimes I tolerate it.