Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Official Verbolten Topic
05-25-2012, 09:15 PM
Re: Official Verbolten Topic
Judging a coaster based on a POV is just like judging a movie by the trailer. You can't.

Artwork: http://dvn225.deviantart.com - http://www.facebook.com/dans.awesome.artwork
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-27-2012, 07:12 AM
Verbolten will be closed today due to technical issues- BG FB Page

Drop Tower is the best ride at Kings Dominion!
Find all posts by this user
05-29-2012, 02:39 PM
Was open with four trains (red, blue, green, orange) on Monday 28 June.
05-30-2012, 05:49 PM
The ride itself it good and seems to have a good capacity with the double train loading station. I agree the show building is hideous with the floating tunnel.

All i saw on the inside of the show buidling was a lot of cheap, flat "forest" cutouts lit by black light. Did i miss something? The inside of the building was a HUGE disappointment IMO.
05-30-2012, 08:06 PM
You're usually flying by too fast to notice anything so the cutouts are there to save money. There are a few 3-D elements like the moonlight scene in the last turnaround going into the first brake run.

The scene overlooking the forest is pretty well-done for a bunch of cutouts IMO. Best part of the ride.

Artwork: http://dvn225.deviantart.com - http://www.facebook.com/dans.awesome.artwork
05-30-2012, 09:25 PM
super7 Wrote:The ride itself it good and seems to have a good capacity with the double train loading station. I agree the show building is hideous with the floating tunnel.

All i saw on the inside of the show buidling was a lot of cheap, flat "forest" cutouts lit by black light. Did i miss something? The inside of the building was a HUGE disappointment IMO.

I agree. I thought more could be done with $50 million.

149 Coasters & Counting (119 Steel / 30 Wood)
-------
30th Wooden Coaster: Thunderhead @ Dollywood on 5/13
150th Coaster: Cyclone @ Coney Island on 9/1
06-02-2012, 11:00 AM
sbrubakerjr Wrote:
super7 Wrote:The ride itself it good and seems to have a good capacity with the double train loading station. I agree the show building is hideous with the floating tunnel.

Really? So you thought Revenge Of The Mummy was cheap? Same exact technique for most of the mummies.

http://i.minus.com/iwyTHQY5JWEpB.gif
Coaster Count: 111
Favorite Steel: Intimidator 305 (Kings Dominion)
Favorite Woodie: Lightning Racer (Hersheypark)
06-02-2012, 10:17 PM
sixflgsfan12 Wrote:
sbrubakerjr Wrote:

Really? So you thought Revenge Of The Mummy was cheap? Same exact technique for most of the mummies.

I believe Mummy was around 42 million, and I think it is a much better "ride".

149 Coasters & Counting (119 Steel / 30 Wood)
-------
30th Wooden Coaster: Thunderhead @ Dollywood on 5/13
150th Coaster: Cyclone @ Coney Island on 9/1
06-04-2012, 08:10 PM
Verbolten is fantastic!! - and NIGHT RIDES = awesomeeee!

I Have No Homeboy.
06-05-2012, 05:54 PM
[/quote]I believe Mummy was around 42 million, and I think it is a much better "ride".[/quote]
AGREE

BIZARRO #1
06-05-2012, 08:07 PM
I finally got to ride Verbolten this past weekend and completely loved it. It is a wonderful family thrill ride, which the park needed to replace Big Bad Wolf. The trains are some of the best looking trains you'll see on any roller coaster. I LOVE the event building, the view when you're high up in the building and overlook the forest is my favorite part of the ride. Having the three different versions is an excellent touch which makes re-rides more exciting (took me 7 trips through the black forest before I got lightning).

If you don't know the drop is coming, its an awesome element. Also the ride was more intense then I thought it would be, the helix in the building and the second launch especially.

Only minor complaint would be in the queue. They should be showing background about the black forest tours, instead of the Busch Gardens Brainwashing Channel and in Gerta's office the sound on the TV's is too low to hear whats going on.

That said I give the ride a HUGE thumbs up. Its very very unique and easily my favorite coaster at BGW.
06-12-2012, 10:09 AM
KingsDominionGeek Wrote:Verbolten is fantastic!! - and NIGHT RIDES = awesomeeee!
Couldn't agree more. I do ERT at night any day.
07-14-2012, 01:50 PM
The Legend Wrote:I finally got to ride Verbolten this past weekend and completely loved it. It is a wonderful family thrill ride, which the park needed to replace Big Bad Wolf. The trains are some of the best looking trains you'll see on any roller coaster. I LOVE the event building, the view when you're high up in the building and overlook the forest is my favorite part of the ride. Having the three different versions is an excellent touch which makes re-rides more exciting (took me 7 trips through the black forest before I got lightning).

If you don't know the drop is coming, its an awesome element. Also the ride was more intense then I thought it would be, the helix in the building and the second launch especially.

Only minor complaint would be in the queue. They should be showing background about the black forest tours, instead of the Busch Gardens Brainwashing Channel and in Gerta's office the sound on the TV's is too low to hear whats going on.

That said I give the ride a HUGE thumbs up. Its very very unique and easily my favorite coaster at BGW.

Agree great ride

BIZARRO #1
08-07-2012, 02:11 PM
Finally going to the park for the first time this season on Thursday so I'll let you all know what I think of Verbolten.
09-08-2012, 12:11 AM
My review and ramblings: I like this ride and consider it to add to the "uniqueness" of BG. There is very little else quite like it. It has some good forces and thrills too. It can create a special feeling at moments that can't exactly be achieved any other way. But do I enjoy it more than a lot of other better coasters? No. And they could have done some better things instead, especially at that budget.

Comapring it to BBW , there are definitely some dissapointments. One, the Rhine River drop is far less intense that BBW's was. To some extent that is inevitable but it seems that it should have been a goal to make sure that wasn't the case. If there were any airtime, even .... 2nd, the use of LIMs would have been a great way to avoid the pacing issues of BBW, that there was a big pause in the action for the 2nd lift. But this ride completely stops 1 place and almost stops 4 more places (somewhat before the drop, another time just before the drop rather than a single stop, the full stop for the drop, after the drop and before the 2nd launch, and the "bridge" before the River descent). The result is long, but feels disjunct, like a coaster in sections. Sure, not so much as BBW, but this does seem a bit like repetition of previous mistakes. Perhaps I'm overfocusing on the comparison to BBW just because it's in the same location and replaces that coaster, but it is clear the park did intend this to play a similar role within the park. When BG announced BBW's replacement, I had a moment of hope that it would be far more inspired by the previous coaster. In thinking about this, I realized that with computer modeling it is possible to simulate some of the feel of a suspended coaster, and other movements inspired by them, on a conventionally tracked coaster with immediate recovery. For example, airtime while tilted to the side, such as the tilted hill crests on the Hang 5 coaster in China. Clearly I can only wait and hope longer for that someone will take ahold of such concepts.

Back to the ride itself, the station does look very nice and I love the way you just walk onto the cars. No step up, no step down, the cars may as well be part of the ride platform until they move. THIS is one aspect of Verbolten that may, and should, affect the design of many rides to come. Yes, floorless and floorless-like B&Ms have been that way for some time, but this may a be a first for a feet-on-floor type coaster?