Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Friday 4/6 (Opening Day) & Saturday 4/7 Trip to KD!
04-11-2012, 12:10 PM
Friday 4/6 (Opening Day) & Saturday 4/7 Trip to KD!
I visited Kings Dominion on Friday (Opening Day) and Saturday to kick off my 2012 coaster season. Overall, I had a blast and got lots of rides in despite the surprisingly large opening weekend crowds. The new attractions for 2012 include Windseeker, Dinosaurs Alive, and Dinosaurs: Giants of Patagonia 3D... but so much more has been done around the park!
Just to name a few:
-Fast Lane which actually is being ran very well and fair with the exception on Volcano
-Avalanche got a new paintjob and is looking great
-The International Street fountains got painted
-There are many dinosaurs scattered around the park promoting Dinosaurs Alive
-There are more new planters in The Grove
-Center Walkway got brick pavers and new barrier walls
-A ton of the rides got new entrance/exit ramps plus an elevators to meet the new handicap reqirements
-Grizzly has a new sign and entrance because of Dinosaurs Alive
-New food options
-And much much more!

On Friday (opening day) I was at the park from 11:30 AM - 6:30 PM (7 hours). The park was packed! A lot of the rides had full queue lines with 2 trains running including Intimidator 305, Flight of Fear, Volcano, and Dominator. Windseeker had a line spilling a few hundred feet out of the queue reaching the Xtreme SkyFlyer entrance. The park was surprisingly running operations smoothly and quickly handling with the unexpected crowds as good as they could. The biggest problems seemed to be at the food stands, but when getting my 2012 Windseeker cup refilled, I didn't have to wait too long.

On Saturday I was at the park from 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM (7 hours). The park wasn't as crowded as opening day, but it sure was much more crowded than opening weekend in years past. By the afternoon many rides had a full queue including Windseeker spilling out of the queue like the previos day. Operations were going well once again and I was glad to see familiar faces like Dale working on Intimidator 305 and Fran on Drop Tower. Once again the food stands were packed, but overall I didn't have to wait long for my refills and Boardwalk Fries.

What I rode (in order):
Friday
Windseeker - 1
Wave Swinger - 1
The Crypt - 1
Dominator - 1
Beserker - 1
Shennadoah Lumber Company - 1
White Water Canyon - 1
Grizzly - 1
Hurler - 1
Dinosaurs: Giants of Patagonia 3D - 1
Intimidator 305 - 1
Saturday
Volcano - 1
Flight of Fear - 1
Intimidator 305 - 9
Windseeker - 1
Drop Tower - 1
Rebel Yell - 1
Eiffel Tower - 1

Windseeker is a fantastic addition to the park as it seems like a hit with all riders. It blew my expectations away and it was much more intense and thrilling than I ever thought it would be, but I feel like that might be because it was really windy both days. It really fits in that part of the park well with the same colors/lighting as Juke Box Diner. It also really takes up a lot of that empty space where XLC was and the park also put brick pavers around the ride to break up the "asphalt jungle".
Dinosaurs Alive seemed to be another hit with familes as just to buy tickets at both ticket booths for the attraction had a long line. I personally didn't do the attraction, but you could see a lot of it from on Grizzly and it looks very nice.
Dinosaurs: Giants of Patagonia 3D was also getting quite a lot of attention. It seemed the theater was hitting capacity each show and they would have to turn away guests until the next show. Originally the park was showing the movie every hour, but changed it to every 30 minutes due to the demand. I don't miss the crappy moving seats at all and the 3D quality was amazing. Kids and adults seemed to like the movie and I love the fact that it isn't an upcharge like at KI and Wonderland.

Overall, a GREAT way to kick off whats going to be my biggest coaster season ever, especially since I got 10 laps on my favorite coaster, Intimidator 305. Riding it 9 times in a row on Saturday morning was amazing. Next park: Carowinds!

If you want to see my photos, I've uploaded them to my Facebook page, so check them out if we're friends!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-11-2012, 01:39 PM
Re: Friday 4/6 (Opening Day) & Saturday 4/7 Trip to KD!
Wish the pictures were posted here - but great trip report! Smile

I Have No Homeboy.
04-11-2012, 08:08 PM
Wow! 9 times on I-305! Great TR! Big Grin

Drop Tower is the best ride at Kings Dominion!
04-13-2012, 12:29 AM
Thanks for the responses! And yes, 9 times in a row on with hardly no wait Intimidator 305 was like heaven on earth... heck of a lot better than waiting in a full queue like I did the previous day for only one ride!
04-15-2012, 05:23 PM
Did you happen to get a pic of Grizzly's new sign/entrance or can you please describe to me where it is?

coaster credits: 361
04-15-2012, 06:14 PM
I didn't realize that my camera was on the wrong setting until after I took this (whoops) but you can still see it. The intro to Dinos is to the right. You have to go through the Dinos gift shop (formally the Grizzly arcade) to get this far. [Image: IMG_0026.jpg]

I Have No Homeboy.