Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
TR ~ 8/18/12 KINGS DOMINION
08-22-2012, 04:09 PM
TR ~ 8/18/12 KINGS DOMINION
we went saturday 8/18, got there a few minutes after it opened and thought we'd missed the opportunity to head straight to Volcano. When we got there, there were maybe 40 people ahead of us and they weren't letting anyone into the queue, so we waited <5 minutes then they let people in. They were not letting anyone into the "cave" part unless they could basically have one train worth of people ahead of them, so after maybe waiting one or two groups worth, they let us in and we walked straight up to the automatic gates where you get on. It's been 2 years since I was there, guess they changed this.

We did the blast off, always a great thrill. I still can't help but wonder who did the engineering to force the twists to happen after you blast thru the top of the thing. It feels so unnatural, so forced. After you are out of the top of the thing, it reminded me of the Carowinds flying super saturator, moved really slowly it seemed, even though I know we were going PRETTY fast. At any rate, love Volcano if there's no line, but would never wait long for it. Laughed at a family who came thru using their fast pass wristbands, when they skipped maybe 20 people behind us. They didn't know they had a limit on the number of Volcano rides they could use with their wrist band and were pretty vocal about how bad they thought that sucked. One of the members of our group had never been on the ride before, and it was fun since they didn't know what to expect.

From there we headed to intimidator. It was a walk on almost. First time riding it. WOW what a rush. We all sat in the middle, and each of us said after it was over that we noticed our vision going gray on the first turn at the bottom. Can only imagine what it was like opening year. We rode it twice more, then waited for pretty much our only one of two longish lines: Flight of Fear. I still wonder what is behind the black wood frame "box" to your left as you walk towards the flying saucer, wonder if it's track back there or what. The two in my group who were young were kind of freaked out about the loud humming sounds and the decor, so that was cool. What used to play on the TV's while in line inside? If it was Twilight Zone stuff they had to remove, might as well take it away. Overall there were a number of lights and effects that weren't turned on, so it needs some maintenance. What a FUN ride though, it's really fun not knowing where you're going, even though you can kind of see the track. The last loop at the end was a big surprise, forgot all about that.

Next we rode Anaconda, was a walk on. Shake, rattle, roll, ouch. Like a bad version of Loch Ness Monster. Afterwards we walked by Stunt coaster, which I think is pretty boring. It was broken, when we'd boarded Anaconda, and now it was open again with a LONG line. I knew it wasn't worth waiting in that, so we skipped it, having ridden it a couple years ago. Looked like most of the effects weren't working either, when we saw it later in operation from the water park. What a waste of space, they need to get rid of Stunt Coaster IMO. We headed over towards Windseeker but stopped along the way at Wave Swinger. Saw the Shockwave, remembered how you spend more time waiting to unload than the entire ride takes, decided not worth it. We waited about 2 cycles for our turn on Windseeker, first time on it. Couple of folks in my group said it was boring, I kind of liked it. Would have liked to have ridden in the dark later but we were too tired later.

While we were over on that side of the park, we rode the Flying Eagles, tried to get those things snapping and popping like we can do at Carowinds...BIG YAWN. Too short a ride and way too tight of cables. At Carowinds it's rated a "3" and KD rates it a "2" for ride ratings. At Carowinds they actually have contests to see who can fly highest and pop the loudest, (winner stays on for free ride) and I've seen parents watch and freak out and pull their kids out of line from watching us on them at Carowinds. Comments like "I didn't know it was like that" when you are in line observing them watching people who can really crank it up. It's hilarious. I don't know what makes the Carowinds flyers so much easier and more fun, but it's like night and day. On the plus side, there was only one group ahead of us, so quick wait. Unlike Carowinds where we can wait 25-30 minutes because so many people want on. And the Carowinds one is in Planet Snoopy kids area, so go figure.

We were hot and hungry by then, so we got lunch at Chick Fil A and Panda Express. Was impressed that they hadn't totally jacked up the price at CFA, inside the park compared to outside at a regular Chick Fil A. It was only maybe $1 more for the chicken, and $1.50 more for drinks.

After lunch we changed and went to the water park portion of the park. WOW it was crowded. It was a fairly warm but not CRAZY hot day. Was pretty overcast, but no rain, stayed in the 80's, but the water park was PACKED. No chairs ANYWHERE, lines like CRAZY for everything. Not very much fun with that. We found one chair and noticed Tornado was closed. Eventually they closed one of the wave pools for 1/2 hour, so the other one got insanely crowded. Even after they opened the other one back up, not many people switched back... We got dumped on by the giant bucket at the Splash House, then some adult got hurt who couldn't speak any english and they shut THAT down for 20 minutes while they put them in a wheel chair. Their family of like 15 people (no joke) all came over and were trying to translate, but the woman looked fine. Eventually that was back open. We rode the Pipeline Peak, and concluded they need better signage for the speed slides with no tubes. 90% of the line (it wasn't THAT bad) was waiting for the longer purple slide, and there were only 2 or 3 waiting for the black one that goes straight down. So many people on the stairs were clogged up and didn't know which one they were waiting for and the yellow stripe to show you to form two lines is WAY at the top. By then you've stood around for 15 minutes needlessly. We did one ride on each slide but the ones with tubes had lines all the way to the ground, on every ride, so we called it quits. On way out to the car to get our clothes, one member wanted to go thru Snoopy Splash Dance. What is a ride like that doing in the dry part of the park? Very random. Also in Kidville (vs Planet Snoopy, very confusing) noticed they'd closed the climbing area my kids used to love, and the Yogi's cave was blocked off. That's too bad. Also not operating today was Flying Ace. Now that they have Windseeker, what's the point in riding Flying Ace anyway? I like it, but it seems redundant. Didn't see it operating all day. Never made it to log flume, raft ride, and nobody but me wanted to ride Grizzly, so we just skipped that area.

Changed back to dry clothes and hit intimidator one last time. it was about 7 pm by then, and the line was actually medium length. We waited 25 minutes, but we all concluded that particular 7pm intimidator ride was the best of the day of our multiple rides on it. More graying out, felt faster. We rode in the back this time I think. Lots of twists and VERY VERY intense. I couldn't ride that more than about 3 times in a row without a break, where as the Carowinds Intimidator I can ride over and over and over, it is just plain FUN and not "intense" yet VERY thrilling.

We left and ate dinner out of the park. Had a fun day, probably won't go back next year, but will hit Busch Gardens next year instead. Interested to see what they put in new for 2013 there. At least SOMETHING
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-22-2012, 08:18 PM
Re: TR ~ 8/18/12 KINGS DOMINION
I'm replying to this by ride so it's not confusing.
Volcano: They started "holding the line" a few months ago. Seems to work well.
Intimidator 305: It should be the same speed as it was back in 2010. Not sure why it wouldn't be?
FoF: The black box is Haunt stuff. Also if I remember correctly on the TV - it was like aliens were attacking. I think it was like "footage" type of video but I was so non-observant (especially during my middle school years) so I could be wrong.
Stunt Coaster: I like it b/c it's a "big" coaster that smaller kids can ride and it's not painful (like Anaconda). Do wish the effects would work but I think there are many rides that should go before BLSC.
Kidzvill/PS - Yeah it just needs to be one big area. The slides have been gone for a few years now. Snoopy's Splash Dance is SO random (and could go away if you ask me). Yogi's Cave is closed b/c it wasn't handicap accessible and the laws changed this year. They said it was too expensive to convert it.
Flying Ace - I get what you're saying but again, I like that smaller kids can ride it. It's just like Mini-Windseeker LoL. It's usually operating though.
Thanks for the TR!!!

I Have No Homeboy.
08-22-2012, 09:32 PM
KingsDominionGeek Wrote:Intimidator 305: It should be the same speed as it was back in 2010. Not sure why it wouldn't be?

I read on this board they'd slowed it down by putting brakes on the first drop in year, then taken track apart and reconfigured it on the first turn to slow it down so they could remove the first drop brakes. That's why I said I'd have loved to ride it when it first opened and was more extreme. I've read the debates here about how extreme it was and how people hated the plates slowing it down on the first drop. If they're still there, I didn't notice them, it just FLIES. I do wish it had some airtime instead of all just low on the ground. Definitely reminded me of Maverick at Cedar Point, which we all have ridden in my family.
08-22-2012, 10:41 PM
flyer65 Wrote:
KingsDominionGeek Wrote:Intimidator 305: It should be the same speed as it was back in 2010. Not sure why it wouldn't be?

I read on this board they'd slowed it down by putting brakes on the first drop in year, then taken track apart and reconfigured it on the first turn to slow it down so they could remove the first drop brakes. That's why I said I'd have loved to ride it when it first opened and was more extreme. I've read the debates here about how extreme it was and how people hated the plates slowing it down on the first drop. If they're still there, I didn't notice them, it just FLIES. I do wish it had some airtime instead of all just low on the ground. Definitely reminded me of Maverick at Cedar Point, which we all have ridden in my family.
The brakes are gone.

I Have No Homeboy.
08-23-2012, 09:50 AM
Great TR. I was there this past Saturday too with a group from my church. It was my first time in the park all year since I've been busy starting a business. Here's how it went for me:

Terrible traffic coming down from Maryland... I don't know what on earth was going on with I-95, but in a 30-mile stretch after the restricted lanes I don't think I topped 30 mph. I left my house before 8am and got to the park around 11. It's normally a 2-hour ride. The rest of my group traveled separately, leaving around 9:00 and not getting to the park until after they had stopped for lunch.

Since the rest of the group was going to do Fast Lane with me (despite my opposition to Fast Lane normally, I relented because we were going there on a Saturday in August!), I went back to the wooden coasters first. Did Grizzly 3 times in a row with rerides, then Hurler, Ricochet, Rebel Yell, and WindSeeker once each. Rebel Yell wasn't racing on a Saturday in August, which surprised me. WindSeeker is a pretty good ride that gives great views of the park. I was dizzy the first time I rode it, but the second time (with the rest of my group later) wasn't bad at all.

After lunch, my group finally got there. About half of us got our Fast Lane passes and headed for Volcano. We rode Volcano with a nice short wait while the GP were backed up for it (more on that later). From there, we went to Avalanche, Crypt, I305, the log flume, Windseeker, Drop Tower, I305 again, and FOF. We were really surprised that White Water Canyon doesn't have Fast Lane even though the log flume does and WWC usually has a very long wait in summer (it did this Saturday too). Some of my group left after that because they had to go somewhere else. The rest of our group went to the Action Theater to see Dinosaurs: Giants of Patagonia. The Action Theater has declined a lot since last year, with no pre-show, no motion seats, and no arcade on the way out. It really seems ripe for a replacement.

I was able to convince one of my non-coaster riding friends to ride Backlot with me. He screamed the whole ride. Somewhere in there, most of the group did Avalanche again as well as Boo Blasters, and then we thought we were done for the day on Dominator a little before 8. The half of the group that didn't get Fast Lane told me that they were in line for Volcano with about a "20 minute" wait left.

So the Fast Lane half of the group used our other ride on Volcano as a chance to find the rest of our group in the Volcano queue! We bypassed a full queue and rode in the front row with about a 2-train wait. We didn't see the rest of our group. After we got off, we waited about another half hour before we saw them in the station. So after they got done riding, we finally left the park around 9:30. I took Route 301 back home because I had to drop some of them off and had a protein bar and sour gummy worms from a gas station for dinner because I hadn't had time to eat anything. :-)

All told, it was a better day in the park than I had expected. Days like that are what Fast Lane is best for, and we appreciated the group discount. I might try to come back on a weekday next week if I can take a day off, because my coaster ride count for the season is looking a little low!

I'm redesigning all of the Coaster Crew Network sites throughout the spring. Please help me out by answering surveys and polls on our Coaster Crew Network News board!

My top steel coasters: 1. Top Thrill Dragster | 2. Manta (SWO) | 3. Montu | 4. SheiKra | 5. Volcano ... My top wooden coaster: El Toro (SFGAdv).
08-23-2012, 11:19 AM
KingsDominionGeek Wrote:The brakes are gone.
without reading back thru 900 pages of intimidator posts, what did they end up doing to the track to fix the concerns they had?
08-24-2012, 01:22 PM
flyer65 Wrote:
KingsDominionGeek Wrote:The brakes are gone.
without reading back thru 900 pages of intimidator posts, what did they end up doing to the track to fix the concerns they had?
They just made the first turn go up the hill as it was turning.

I Have No Homeboy.
08-24-2012, 11:05 PM
^^-- which makes the forces less intense there without having to slow it down everywhere else.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user