Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New for 2013: Planet Snoopy Upgrade
09-12-2012, 03:10 PM
New for 2013: Planet Snoopy Upgrade
Quote:Togetherness takes on a whole new meaning as Kings Dominion announces plans for a multi-million dollar addition to its children’s area, Planet Snoopy. This 7-acre expansion will make Planet Snoopy the world’s largest PEANUTSTM themed children’s area when it debuts in the spring of 2013.

Planet Snoopy will boast at least 12 new and re-themed attractions based on one of the most beloved comic strip characters. The attractions, designed for families to ride together, include an opportunity for a family to take to the skies in a balloon ride, twirl around in classic tea cups with a new twist and hop aboard a PEANUTSTM- themed railway. When the expansion is complete, Planet Snoopy will span nearly 14-acres.

In addition to the new family rides, Planet Snoopy will also feature:

-A new iconic entrance fountain
-Two live shows featuring family-friendly entertainment
-Additional daily meet-and-greet opportunities with the PEANUTSTM characters including Charlie Brown, Linus, Lucy and, of course the world’s most popular Beagle – Snoopy
-A newly expanded 1,100 square-foot family care facility equipped with changing stations, feeding rooms and nap areas
-An open air marketplace featuring fresh fruit and food

Planet Snoopy is based on the popular and world-wide sensation of Charles Schulz’s PEANUTSTM characters, which have been family favorites for more than 60 years. From the famous comic strips, to the holiday movie classics, PEANUTSTM has always brought families together for an out-of-this-world experience.

“Snoopy and the PEANUTSTM gang are instantly recognizable and nostalgic characters that both parents and children can experience together,” Kings Dominion’s vice president and general manager Pat Jones said. “This sizeable expansion to Planet Snoopy is unparalleled in scope to anything in this region and re-affirms our commitment to delivering world-class family thrills and entertainment.”

Construction will begin after the park’s popular Halloween Haunt event at the end of October. The newly expanded Planet Snoopy is expected to open to the public in the spring of 2013. Those who cannot wait until next year can access exclusive updates, features, virtual renderings and more, including a webcam of the construction, at kingsdominion.com.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJSFPXJrHtU&feature=g-u-u[/youtube]

Photos from the announcement - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=...775ae70770

Check out the Planet Snoopy website - <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.kingsdominion.com/biggerbetter-planetsnoopy">http://www.kingsdominion.com/biggerbetter-planetsnoopy</a><!-- m -->

Team Classy #1!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-12-2012, 04:02 PM
Re: New for 2013: Planet Snoopy Upgrade
Don't know if this was brought up, but will Ghoster Coaster get a name change to Woodstock Express? Kings Dominion seems to be the only Cedar Fair owned park without the ride name.

Planet Snoopy! 2013
Find all posts by this user
09-12-2012, 04:15 PM
Ghoster Coaster will be the Woodstock Express. You can see all of the name changes here - <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.kingsdominion.com/biggerbetter-planetsnoopy/rides">http://www.kingsdominion.com/biggerbett ... oopy/rides</a><!-- m -->

Team Classy #1!
09-12-2012, 04:37 PM
As far as the train goes, keep in mind that this is a small kiddie train. It is not the 3/4 size steam train like The Old Dominion Line that ran in the Old Virginia Section of the park. That ride appears to go on the spot where the old Yogi's/Treasure cave is now.

I have to take the Planet Snoopy artwork with a grain of salt because it is an artist's rendition of what they think it will end up looking like. There could be changes to the types of rides and locations of those rides within Planet Snoopy before it is all said and done. The only guarantee from KD is that there will be at least 12 new and re-vamped/re-themed rides.

Not counting the 3 existing Planet Snoopy rides/attractions, 6 existing kids-ville attractions are to get a makeover. So it appears the expanded Planet Snoopy will have at least 6 new rides. From the artist conception drawing, I see 7 new attractions. One, where the Ranger hat circular ride is now, (across from the tree swing and in front of the kiddie bump cars), is unknown. It was never mentioned in the speech that KD gave nor in the video. The others were either talked about, in the video, or both.

Keep in mind that KD might be able to squeeze in another new kiddie attraction or two in the new area. Some of the other Cedar Fair parks, that received a new/expanded Planet Snoopy, were able to get at least one or two additional rides that were not originally announced. Not sure if CF corporate was able to come up with more money or if the parks themselves were able to stay on or under budget for this project therefore, got another ride or two.
09-12-2012, 07:25 PM
Well, I guess i'll go to Cedar Point instead of Kings Dominion...

Intimidator 305 Count: 15
09-12-2012, 07:35 PM
It looks like there is a new ride where yogis cave used to be. I didnt see that ride on the website.

Don't look back, as you brave the Black Forest...
09-12-2012, 07:48 PM
Wow, just looking at Kings Dominion's Facebook post about the new expansion made me realize how rude Kings Dominion's fans were.

CoasterCrazy629 Wrote:It looks like there is a new ride where yogis cave used to be. I didnt see that ride on the website.

I believe there has only been 10 new/rethemed rides out of the 12 that have been announced, so keep an eye out for the next two!

Planet Snoopy! 2013
09-12-2012, 07:59 PM
Coaster_Fanatic Wrote:Wow, just looking at Kings Dominion's Facebook post about the new expansion made me realize how rude Kings Dominion's fans were.
They have every right to, they said "thrilling". What's thrilling about Planet Snoopy for people over the age of 8? By looking at the comments, it looks like Kings Dominion broke the record for most disappointed fans at one time.

09-12-2012, 08:20 PM
^ I don't know what you and those other people were thinking... The park just got a 305' 94 MPH 25 million dollar coaster 2 seasons ago and a 301' swing this season. They can't do that every single year...

I'm very happy with this announcement. I just wish they were doing a WaterWorks upgrade also.
09-12-2012, 08:49 PM
^+1

You can't deny the park needed this expansion. Even though this is a kids area.... it does make me happy that this is what is coming. The old kiddie rides look terrible and they are old.

And for those of you complaining, this brings in more families, which brings in more money, which brings in more rides. The park has to cater to families just as much as they have to cater to thrill seekers.

Team Classy #1!
09-12-2012, 08:51 PM
Josh Wrote:
Coaster_Fanatic Wrote:Wow, just looking at Kings Dominion's Facebook post about the new expansion made me realize how rude Kings Dominion's fans were.
They have every right to, they said "thrilling". What's thrilling about Planet Snoopy for people over the age of 8? By looking at the comments, it looks like Kings Dominion broke the record for most disappointed fans at one time.

When did they ever say it was thrilling to people over the age of 8? Their status asked what the teens-adult's point of view of thrilling was, they didn't ask if kiddie rides were thrilling to them. People need to get over it, I am actually quite excited for this, considering I have a couple of younger relatives that would LOVE to see new rides that they can enjoy themselves. Kings Dominion can't just be the thrill capitol of the world, they need to be family oriented.

Planet Snoopy! 2013
09-12-2012, 09:47 PM
Michael Collier Wrote:You can't deny the park needed this expansion. Even though this is a kids area.... it does make me happy that this is what is coming. The old kiddie rides look terrible and they are old.
I'm not denying that, they do need the expansion, I just thought it would be something thrilling for adults/teens.
Coaster_Fanatic Wrote:When did they ever say it was thrilling to people over the age of 8?
They didn't, I said that.
Coaster_Fanatic Wrote:Their status asked what the teens-adult's point of view of thrilling was, they didn't ask if kiddie rides were thrilling to them.
If you post that anytime within the 24 hours of the announcement people are going to think something big's coming.

09-12-2012, 10:41 PM
Guys, its ok, I promise. They didn't tell you about the 750 foot tall Intamin Accelerator with 38 loops and a gravy splashdown being built in the waterpark. (sarcasm)

Lord, fanboys, I swear. This has been needed for years, and its finally coming. If people can accept that for what it is and realize that now that the kiddie area renovation is actually a reality, any addition in the coming years is going to focus on the adult/teen side of the park, or the water park. Being upset about this addition is closed-minded and honestly not justified. They're not going to add a coaster every year because a few people are upset. Sorry, that's not how the business works. I'm just glad that the majority of the kiddie rides in the park were not operated by my parents and aunts and uncles, if that puts things in perspective for anyone.

I really think this is the perfect addition at the perfect time for the park. I cannot wait to see it complete.

-Travis

I'm just gonna say "Best Park Employee since 2009..."

The artist formerly known as The Situation, who was formerly known as Travis, who may go back to Travis...
09-12-2012, 11:07 PM
Very well said, Alex, Travis and Michael! This is needed.
And if you MUST think of this in a way that caters to your needs, then just think - this will bring in more families...meaning more money...so they can possibly build a new thrill ride in 2014 or 2015. I grew up in the Kings Dominion kids area (Back when it was the Happy Land of Hanna Barbera) and am glad that kids will get to experience new and more thrilling rides (YES these rides coming are more thrilling then the ding-the-bell ranger hat and the old boo boo's tree swings that tilt whenever a big kid sits on them). And it's great that they are adding things that kids can ride with their parents.

I Have No Homeboy.
09-12-2012, 11:11 PM
Idk but i think the new planet snoopy looks totally sweet and cant wait to see it complete. it is well needed and well deserved for the little chillins. We have recieved a thrill two years in a row, this is well deserved and a big upgrade but the renderings for the new planet snoopy looks like its including more rides then its announcing.