Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New for 2013: Planet Snoopy Upgrade
09-12-2012, 11:13 PM
Re: New for 2013: Planet Snoopy Upgrade
P.S i think they are doing away with the construction company, but in the map artwork it looks like that maybe a where the marketplace is going.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-13-2012, 09:24 AM
I think people take the marketing hype way too seriously. As others stated, some people put blinders on and only think in a very narrow, limited way. When the end result is outside of the lines they have drawn, then they get all bent out of shape.

Planet Snoopy is a great thing for Kings Dominion and the families that will visit because of it. This expansion could very well bring in families that have small children who don't visit KD because of the old, out-dated kids section. This, in turn, could keep the families coming as the children grow older and migrate to the bigger rides. More money coming in now hopefully means new and better rides and attractions in the future for the tweens, teens, and adults.

Kings Dominion stated at least 12 new and revamped rides. I assume KD has not finalized the new rides they are getting, so we don't have much information on those at this point. They did say the 3 existing Planet Snoopy rides will stay (Flying Ace, Moon Bounce, Driving School).

Most of the revamped rides are located in the north-eastern corner of the kids section. The corvettes, 4x4 trucks, bi-planes, and Ghoster Coaster are getting the Planet Snoopy makeover. Taxi jam and the kiddie bump cars are getting a Planet Snoopy makeover as well.

Boo Blasters is staying.

Snoopy's splash dance is going away to be replaced with a fountain. not sure if this is a regular fountain or one of those pop jet fountains where you can run around and under the water.

The new stuff.

Based on the artist's rendition, (not the actual Planet Snoopy area schematics, just a drawing that depicts what the artist THINKS it will look like based on the current information the artist had to work with), as well as what was spoken about and/or shown in the video during the announcement:

Teacups replacing the Tree swing (spoken about & in video)
Kiddie train ride replacing Yogi's/Treasure cave (spoken about)
Unknown ride replacing the Ranger hat circular ride. (???)
Lay-down kite ride replacing the small circular car ride. (in video)
Balloon ride replacing the space vehicle circular ride. (spoken about)
Tugboat replacing the swinging ship. (in video)
Elevated Monorail Ride - new addition (in video)

So that give us 6 maybe 7 new rides. Keep in mind that the park could get maybe another 1 or 2 more rides above what is in the artist's drawing, spoken about or in the video from the announcement. Remember that the announcement stated at least that many new/ re-vamped attractions. Based on the previous history of other Cedar Fair parks that got the Planet Snoopy expansion/makeover, some of them received 1 or 2 extra rides over and above what was originally announced. Should be interesting to see how things eventually end up!
09-13-2012, 11:08 AM
To be honest I was disappointed that this was the big reveal, I don't see how having the biggest planet snoopy is worth such a big hype. But that said, I'm not going to go overboard or 'rip up my season pass'. I guess this is a good thing as some of those kiddie rides are just so old and needs to go in favor of rides parents can ride with their kids.

So I think in the overall picture, this is a good thing. More family rides, more customers, more revenue, and maybe down the line a new coaster. I'm kinda satisfied with what they have now (but of course there's always room for more or better coasters). My only hope is it doesn't require Shockwave to be taken down.
09-13-2012, 01:34 PM
The ride replacing the ranger hat is a set of new swings. I'm thinking like this:
[Image: 48871201.jpg]

Sidenote: The Richmond Times Dispatch ran a story today and part of the story says this:
"Many of the rides in the current Kidzville - once called Nickelodeon Central - will be replaced, she said. The new attractions will include a balloon ride and one that is a junior version of the park's Drop Tower"
First of all, Kidzville was never Nickelodeon Central - they co-existed. Second of all, I don't know where the info on the drop tower is coming from unless Pat Jones told the reporter specifically but that was never released yesterday that I saw/heard.

I Have No Homeboy.
09-13-2012, 01:38 PM
I think its going to be a mini hopper like at BGWS forest of fun, called the kite eating tree like at other parks so families can ride together.

Don't look back, as you brave the Black Forest...
09-13-2012, 02:44 PM
KingsDominionGeek Wrote:The ride replacing the ranger hat is a set of new swings. I'm thinking like this:
[Image: 48871201.jpg]

Sidenote: The Richmond Times Dispatch ran a story today and part of the story says this:
"Many of the rides in the current Kidzville - once called Nickelodeon Central - will be replaced, she said. The new attractions will include a balloon ride and one that is a junior version of the park's Drop Tower"
First of all, Kidzville was never Nickelodeon Central - they co-existed. Second of all, I don't know where the info on the drop tower is coming from unless Pat Jones told the reporter specifically but that was never released yesterday that I saw/heard.

Yea, I read that article too. I believe the paper was quoting Pat Jones about the "junior version of the drop tower". As someone just wrote above, that could mean a "Frog Hopper" style ride (I think that is the generic name). I did not know if BGW had one in the new Sesame section until now.

Seems the ride selection keeps growing whether or not it was in the announcement or video. Smile
09-13-2012, 08:21 PM
Here's The Kite Eating Tree at Dorney....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRjt71rg8go[/youtube]

Team Classy #1!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-13-2012, 09:58 PM
Yeah I knew what they meant - I was just saying I never saw anything about this in any of the info at Media Day.

(BTW the swing and drop tower weren't related in my post - I was saying we're apparently getting them both)

I Have No Homeboy.
10-08-2012, 04:40 PM
After recently watching Clint's visit to Valleyfair on YouTube, I really hope Kings Dominion's Planet Snoopy ends up looking similar to Valleyfair's. Anyone know if KD is planning on keeping the trees that they currently have for next years Planet Snoopy expansion? I'm all in for saving trees, but I feel like that tearing out the trees in the area would make it look nicer. Just my own opinion Smile

Planet Snoopy! 2013
10-11-2012, 08:05 PM
The trees are one of the reasons I still like walking through Kidzville, I hope they keep them.
10-11-2012, 10:32 PM
RebelYell085 Wrote:The trees are one of the reasons I still like walking through Kidzville, I hope they keep them.
Ditto. Gives it a nice atmosphere as well.

I Have No Homeboy.
10-28-2012, 08:18 PM
Let the construction begin Big Grin
Just after the hurricane passes through :roll:

Planet Snoopy! 2013
10-30-2012, 09:17 AM
I would think we will not see much construction for the 1st half of November. My guess is KD will be stripping the Halloween Haunt stuff down and storing the props away. Also, winterizing will be under full swing, as some rides are partially or completely dismantled; or, at least, the ride vehicles/trains are dismantled and taken to the maintenance warehouse for repair/refurbishing

Course, focusing on just the kids area, the smaller rides they are keeping in the expanded Planet Snoopy, probably will be removed for refurbishment/makeover or at least their vehicles/trains. The ride structures themselves could be getting new paint and amenities as well.

The rides they are not keeping will get dismantled and either sold or scrapped. Some of the new rides might be able to use the existing concrete ride pads; but, I think the majority of new rides will get new ride pads because they appear to be larger than the rides they are replacing. And the park might be installing new electrical conduit for the power/controls of the new rides and makes sense to replace all the concrete if they have to bury the new wiring underground.

The main construction impact areas, as it appears to me, will be the following:

1) Removal of Snoopy's Splash Dance water play area and replaced with a fountain plaza. I am not sure if this will be a regular fountain with Snoopy statue in or above it; or if it will be one of those pop jet fountain areas where the kids can run through and under the jets of water. You would not need a life guard there as there would not be any standing water (small jets of water, in various forms, shoot up and the water drains right back down into an underground reservoir).

2) Removal of Yogi's/Treasure Cave. This will be a major change to the look of that section since that structure has been there since the whole park opened in 1975. KD is supposed to be using that land for the new kiddie train ride. Also, the existing kiddie bump car building is to receive an new facade, (no more boulder rock work). I am not sure if the park will be replacing the old bump cars with new ones. Also, the two old rides in front of the cave/bump cars will be replaced with the new Tea Cup ride and the new swing ride. This is where I thought KD might be able to use the existing ride pads since they are similar in size to the rides they are replacing.

3) Crescent shaped swath of land from the Doll Factory building past the patio/ice cream truck to the base of the Ghoster Coaster first hill. Three new larger size rides are to be installed (tugboat, balloons, and gliders). I am not sure exactly how these rides will be oriented in relation to the existing land footprint. Unfortunately, I do see them having to remove some of the large trees in order to be able to install these rides there.

4) New construction for the elevated monorail "Rocket" ride. Will impact the area around the kiddie bathroom building and part of the land near where the tea cup ride will go. I looks like the station for this will be where the old Blues Clue house is located? (between Snoopy's Driving School and the back of the kiddie bathroom building).

5) If the park is getting a frog hopper style ride, "Kite Eating Tree", I can see that going where the former Boo Blasters photo shoot area is now (I think that has been covered up with the new Planet Snoopy banner). The old Hampton space vehicle circular ride used to be in that spot before they relocated it to the area where the kiddie boat ride was located.

6) If the park is to get anything else over and above what has been described, I have no idea where the attraction(s) would go. Your guess is as good as mine.
11-21-2012, 12:42 AM
I cannot wait for the Monorail!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

Greed caused the Demise of Geauga Lake....
Wanted: 1991 Cadillac El Dorado must be in good shape, prefer the color blue, and seat 32 people.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-30-2012, 10:17 AM
Other that getting one of KD's marketing emails, the week of Thanksgiving, stating that Planet Snoopy construction has started; I have not seen anything on KD's web site, Facebook, or Twitter accounts concerning what is currently going on in the kid's section.

I know the park is going to have a web cam, (I checked the parks web site today and it is still not up yet). I wonder where it will be installed? They could mount it on the Dominator's lift hill and point it toward the central part of the kid's area. Or it could be mounted on the Eiffel Tower to cover the west/central sections of the kid's area. To be honest, I have a hard time figuring out how one camera can cover that whole area given how spread out the changes are supposed to be. I thought at least 2 cameras would be needed to cover that whole area.

Does anyone know if someone from the Coaster Crew site will be visiting the park before Christmas/New years and giving us a behind the scenes video of the initial construction going on?