Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Disney is going to sell beer and wine at Be Our Guest
09-16-2012, 08:39 PM
Disney is going to sell beer and wine at Be Our Guest
LAKE BUENA VISTA --

When Disney's Magic Kingdom opens the new Be Our Guest restaurant this fall, guests will be transported to a magical world, where servers dressed in Renaissance fashions wait on them hand and foot as they eat French ratatouille, steak and pommes frites, and sip wines from some of France's famous regions, like Champagne and Bordeaux --

Wait, what?

Wine? At Magic Kingdom?

Disney made the surprising announcement Thursday on its parks blog as part of another sneak peek of the restaurant coming to the Magic Kingdom's Fantasyland expansion.

While alcohol is served at Disney's other parks and resorts in Orlando, it has never been served at the Magic Kingdom. Disneyland in California also is mostly dry, with only alcohol allowed in the very exclusive Club 33. That was part of Walt Disney's design for clean family fun.

Be Our Guest will be the first Magic Kingdom restaurant to serve not only wine, but French and Belgian beers as well. They will only be served at dinner, which is a sit-down service. Lunch is more of a quick service set up. The alcohol will also not leave the restaurant.

Disney says it complements the cuisine and "enhances the guest experience."

But the decision seems to have split Disney fans online. While some cheer the idea of being able to "take the edge off" a long day at the park with the kids, others see it as "trampling Walt's dream."

This is just the latest change to long-held park policies. In the last year Disney also began allowing castmembers to keep well-trimmed beard, which had been banned since the park opened.

The grand opening for the new Fantasyland is Dec. 6, but previews will start Nov. 19.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.cfnews13.com/content/news/cfnews13/on-the-town/article.html/content/news/articles/cfn/2012/9/13/alcohol_at_the_magic.html">http://www.cfnews13.com/content/news/cf ... magic.html</a><!-- m -->
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-17-2012, 06:21 AM
Re: Disney is going to sell beer and wine at Be Our Guest
Mickey needs money or Mickey needs to show some ROI on the expensive New Fantasyland project because it's not gonna increase attendance.

That said I will buy my beer when I go in December
Find all posts by this user
09-18-2012, 03:19 PM
The Legend Wrote:Mickey needs money or Mickey needs to show some ROI on the expensive New Fantasyland project because it's not gonna increase attendance.

That said I will buy my beer when I go in December

Haha... you're right about ROI. Though the concept art that I saw at the park last year showed a real roller coaster in the top right of the map. Is that for the future? I wish they'd build Top Thrill Mickey, Wall-E-Hawk, and whatever else they need to bring in some thrill seekers.

I'm redesigning all of the Coaster Crew Network sites throughout the spring. Please help me out by answering surveys and polls on our Coaster Crew Network News board!

My top steel coasters: 1. Top Thrill Dragster | 2. Manta (SWO) | 3. Montu | 4. SheiKra | 5. Volcano ... My top wooden coaster: El Toro (SFGAdv).
09-18-2012, 04:52 PM
In the fantasyland expansion they re-themed the barnstormer kiddie coaster and they are building the seven dwarfs mine train, which is going to be a family coaster, but won't open for 2 another years.