Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Kings Dominion To Celebrate 40 Years of Family Fun, Thrills and Memories
09-12-2013, 03:05 PM
Kings Dominion To Celebrate 40 Years of Family Fun, Thrills and Memories
Quote:Celebrating 40 Years of Family Fun, Thrills and Memories

DOSWELL, VA (September 12, 2013) – Kings Dominion turns back the clock as the park announces plans for a celebration four decades in the making. This once in a lifetime event will include many surprises, the return of classic park icons and a chance to create new traditions and memories with your family. The celebration will begin next season to commemorate Kings Dominion’s grand opening in 1975.

“As a native Richmond resident, I grew up not only visiting Kings Dominion, but also started my career here as a seasonal associate,” said Pat Jones, Kings Dominion’s Vice President and General Manager. “I have 40 years of fond memories and I am thrilled to share some of these exciting moments with our guests during our special 40th Celebration.”

The central piece of the 40th Celebration will be the introduction of “Ruby”, a custom painted 40th Celebration horse. “Ruby” will be added to the park’s historic Carousel, which dates back to 1917. The Carousel has operated at Kings Dominion since the park opened in 1975.

Those who grew up with Kings Dominion will also notice the return of many original park icons next season, including:

The homecoming of the park’s classic blue ice cream, which was a hit with families for decades.

A complete restoration of the iconic International Street fountain, which will include a new LED lighting package and additional refurbishments.

Reintroduction of one of the park’s original classic midways, Candy Apple Grove. This re-themed area will include new ride lighting packages, return of the classic over-sized candy apples along the midway and other surprises.

The return of Safari Village (formerly the Congo area of the park) and will include exciting improvements to Volcano: The Blast Coaster and one of the park’s older roller coasters, Anaconda.

In the coming months, Kings Dominion will also make many more exciting announcements as part of this thrilling celebration. Follow us on Facebook and on Twitter to be the first to hear about the latest news from Kings Dominion.

I absolutely love this announcement. This is exactly what the park needs before the next coaster. The Grove is the only area in the park that really needs some sprucing up and obviously this will be done for its transformation into Candy Apple Grove (maybe either Drop Tower or Rebel Yell will get paint). As for Safari Village, Anaconda will definitely be getting some paint (finally!).

I'm excited for the re-theming of the areas of the park. Thank you Matt Ouimet for actually spending money towards things like this.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-12-2013, 03:53 PM
RE: Kings Dominion To Celebrate 40 Years of Family Fun, Thrills and Memories
Thank you for posting, Alex! I'm at work and hadn't gotten to it yet. I am also in love with this idea!! I can't wait to see what other little surprises they have in store! I think having photo billboards around the park depicting old photos and park facts might be a cool thing to do!

I Have No Homeboy.
09-13-2013, 07:43 AM
Could we see Anaconda return to it's old colors? IMO it always looked better that way, and I can see that being a real possibility now.

I'm just gonna say "Best Park Employee since 2009..."

The artist formerly known as The Situation, who was formerly known as Travis, who may go back to Travis...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-13-2013, 11:14 AM
This is cool to hear that they are doing this and love to hear what they will announce later on.
10-28-2013, 09:48 AM
Very excited to see what they will offer next year- This is going to bring a lot of people into the park, especially people that came as a kid. Candy Apple Grove and Safari Village? YES.
10-28-2013, 11:30 AM
I get what Candy Apple Grove will be, as far as props ect. (Also got an indication at lunch during Coaster Crew's Monster Mash event that the singing mushrooms might be coming back). But I"m curious what they will do to Safari Village besides just change the sign.

I Have No Homeboy.
11-01-2013, 11:38 AM
It looks like Kings Dominion "Dug up" something from the past. Another 40th anniversary morsel to chew on. (Well, figuratively anyway).

Something from the 1970's.
11-02-2013, 08:27 AM
They'll probably be posting stuff like that all off season. There is lots of really cool old stuff backstage and in their storage warehouse.

I Have No Homeboy.
11-02-2013, 12:54 PM
It's amazing how that candy apple prop has been sitting in that warehouse for 20 years and it is still good condition. I really hope that the park will do an amazing job for Candy Apple Grove and Safari Villiage next year.

(Please return to us singing mushrooms!)
11-06-2013, 10:00 AM
YES DEM SINGING SHROOMS.

As for The Safari Village, I could see the return of the petting zoo, considering there was a smaller one in Planet Spooky for Halloween. The animals were owned by a farmer who let KD use them (with a price of course). It wouldn't surprise me if the owner is letting KD use them all year. But who knows.

A Safari isn't a Safari without the animals. I imagine there is going to be some sort of live animals, if not the petting zoo. Maybe the Parrot show again? :o

Candy Apple Grove is going to be amazinggg. Already got my pass for next year haha.
11-14-2013, 10:28 AM
SINGING MUSHROOMS ARE BACK!!!!

https://www.kingsdominion.com/celebratio...ss-release
12-12-2013, 09:47 AM
I found a re-cap of a recent Cedar Fair webcast/call presentation on the News Plus Notes web site. Some very interesting tidbits thrown out with what is going on in the park chain. Also, some operating philosophy that is similar to the direction Sea World is going in. There is some info regarding KD's 40th anniversary for 2014 (no new details; just showing the new Cedar Fair operating philosophy). And re-affirms why Kings Dominion is one of Cedar Fair's 2nd-tier parks.

Cedar Fair going into the future.