Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Carowinds getting 300 foot coaster
09-30-2013, 12:55 AM (This post was last modified: 10-04-2013 10:29 AM by flyer65.)
Carowinds getting 300 foot coaster
surprised nobody's posted this yet, but it's been kinda quiet on the forums lately.

Carowinds getting $30 million dollar 300 footer coaster
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/09...kkJYRDxT91

charlotte city council minutes were released showing the deal made with Cedar Fair to get economic incentives to expand the park. No details on type of Coaster or manufacturer. To be part of a FIFTY MILLION DOLLAR Carowinds expansion. Apparently this is just phase 1. Cedar Fair just opened a remote corporate office in Charlotte due to growth.

Cedar Fair got incentives that VA officials wouldn't provide, so they are plowing development dollars into Carowinds instead of Kings Dominion (or at least at a faster pace at the Carolinas park, due to the incentives). Apparently they were set to expand KD, but since Doswell officials wouldn't provide financial incentives like Charlotte would, they decided to do the major expansion in Carowinds instead of VA

Will be 14th coaster at Carowinds. 2015 is assumed date it'll open, but it hasn't been officially announced. This is all from newspapers reporting on the closed council session minutes.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2013, 10:48 PM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2013 10:55 PM by nyc_phil.)
RE: Carowinds getting 300 foot coaster
If it's a giga (no inversions), then I don't get it. It'll be like Canada's wonderland with a hyper and giga coaster in the same park. And it doesn't seem fair that Carowinds gets a new ride so soon. So they better be giving KD something good in 2015 if we have to wait that long for something new.
02-18-2014, 08:16 PM
Its not fair? Really? We've gotten mostly crap compared to Kings Dominion historically. They finally see that our attendance is basically the same with KD getting more love with rides. Carowinds is about to blow up, and its 20 years overdue.
02-18-2014, 09:27 PM
Virginia or the local government was approached by Cedar Fair for incentives to expand KD, they declined. Dont ya love politics.

Carowinds Zone
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-23-2014, 11:59 AM
(02-18-2014 08:16 PM)KingHippo1 Wrote:  Its not fair? Really? We've gotten mostly crap compared to Kings Dominion historically. They finally see that our attendance is basically the same with KD getting more love with rides. Carowinds is about to blow up, and its 20 years overdue.

I didn't say Carowinds didn't deserve a new coaster. I only said what sense does it make to have a giga and hyper coaster in the same park like Canada's wonderland. They have other choices like a winged coaster or such. To me a giga and hyper are similar with a giga just a taller version of a hyper. That is what i meant about it not making sense. Of course all the parks in the chain deserves a new ride and i have no problems with that.
06-08-2014, 07:59 PM
(02-23-2014 11:59 AM)nyc_phil Wrote:  
(02-18-2014 08:16 PM)KingHippo1 Wrote:  Its not fair? Really? We've gotten mostly crap compared to Kings Dominion historically. They finally see that our attendance is basically the same with KD getting more love with rides. Carowinds is about to blow up, and its 20 years overdue.

I didn't say Carowinds didn't deserve a new coaster. I only said what sense does it make to have a giga and hyper coaster in the same park like Canada's wonderland. They have other choices like a winged coaster or such. To me a giga and hyper are similar with a giga just a taller version of a hyper. That is what i meant about it not making sense. Of course all the parks in the chain deserves a new ride and i have no problems with that.

Carowinds has a long way to go but I'm going to be honest I dont see KD being a big deal the way it use to be. I305 is not a complete flop but I can see Hypersonic written all over it.