Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Halloween Haunt 2014 (XIV)
07-22-2014, 01:32 PM
Halloween Haunt 2014 (XIV)
It's almost that time of year again! Usually we get some type of teaser by now for Haunt, but this year they seem to be a little behind! Does anybody have any confirmation of any new attractions, or any predictions/rumors they'd like to share?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-22-2014, 03:20 PM
RE: Halloween Haunt 2014 (XIV)
Well Miners Revenge will be getting replaced this season.

I'm also thinking we'll see a new maze in Dodgem, replacing Medieval Macabre. This is one of the oldest mazes there, one of the weakest mazes detail wise, and is in the best location for a GREAT maze. Not only that, but the Singing Mushrooms replaced the photo booth for the maze, so if they don't replace it, it will be getting a new beginning. It just seems like a good year for it to be replaced.

I'm eager for Haunt teasers and construction to begin. Dodgem closes the first Monday in August nearly every year, so we should see everything beginning soon!
07-26-2014, 10:16 AM
HAUNT construction has started! CornStalkers has been getting worked on for a few weeks now! Also, work has started with Zombie High also.
Also, I have seen pictures floating on Facebook with HAUNT construction on it, so I'm getting really excited!
I read somewhere that another Cedar Fair park was getting Skeleton Key this year- was it Cedar Point or KI? Maybe I was just seeing things... but I think that would make a great addition to KD's HAUNT.
But, anyway, I think it'll be a GREAT year for HAUNT!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Drop Tower is the best ride at Kings Dominion!
07-27-2014, 10:14 PM
Rumors are that Maze of Madness will be returning to replace Medieval Macabre, supposedly sticking with KD 40 Year celebration.

For the sake of discussion, I'll just assume this is true for now. I gotta say, I see Medieval get some dislike from people, but I've always enjoyed it. It certainly does not have the same level of detail in the props and atmosphere as some of the other mazes (e.g., No Vacancy, Doll Factory), but I always have a blast in Medieval. When I've gone through, there has always been a lot of actors, allowing for a lot of jump scares.

I can see why they would take out Medieval though. It's been there longer than any other maze (excluding Blue Ridge, which I don't count as a maze) so it is definitely time for a change. Personally though, I'd prefer to get a brand new maze instead of bringing one back. Knott's has had some great mazes in recent years that I would like to see KD tackle. The Jack The Ripper and Edgar Allen Poe mazes really stick out to me. Maze of Madness was great, but I think I would just prefer to see a new idea instead of recycling old ones. And who knows? We may still get a new one to replace Miners.
07-28-2014, 01:45 PM
I think a Gunslinger's Grave type attraction would fit well in Miners' old spot.

Drop Tower is the best ride at Kings Dominion!
07-28-2014, 05:04 PM
I would be excited for the return of Maze of Madness! One of my favorite mazes they created during "FearFest". I expect either the return of MoM or Blood Shed because those were fan favorites!

Only thing that would be cool to replace Miners Revenge is if they brought back The Curse of Sleepy Hollow or Blackbeard's Revenge! Two very brilliant mazes! Then again, they can always play around with the being lost in the woods theme because well...you are in the woods

Would love for them to bring back Freakshow 3-D, but Slaughter House took their original area.

Anything fresh and new to the park I would be excited for! KD already proved last year that they were not playing around with the atmosphere, so I expect that again this year! Maybe we will finally get a new character this year...

JUST PLEASE....Revamp Blue Ridge Bloodbath for the 40th Anniversary or just let it go lol Does anybody remember the RL Stein’s Fear Street Nights at KD?

Can you keep your sanity and escape from our Maze of Madness?
[Image: pEi63yGLcuz_10975690.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-31-2014, 09:18 PM
(07-28-2014 05:04 PM)smooth3242 Wrote:  JUST PLEASE....Revamp Blue Ridge Bloodbath for the 40th Anniversary or just let it go lol Does anybody remember the RL Stein’s Fear Street Nights at KD?

Agreed, Smooth. I don't even count Blue Ridge as a maze at this point. It's just kind of there and my group skips it now. On paper, it sounds like a good idea and I see what they're going for. But as was discussed many times last year on this forum, it is just not executed well. Too easy to see the actors from a long way off as there is nowhere for them to hide. And when they can hide, they're too far off the track to really have an effect. What's nice about other mazes is that the actors can get into your face. The actors in Blue Ridge just are not able to do that and it kills the scare factor. I think they should just retire it and spend the money on either amping up other mazes or put it toward a new maze altogether.

When it comes to replacing Miners, it shouldn't be hard to do. A lot of those props could easily be used for a Wild West theme, which would be pretty cool. I can't remember when they announced Zombie High and Miners last year, but I thought it was mid-August or something. Hopefully we will start getting something within the next couple of weeks.
08-01-2014, 04:41 PM
It's official!

Via Kings Dominion's Official Facebook page...
Quote:REMINDER! This Sunday (August 3)will be your last day to ride Dodgem. It will be shutting down so we can prepare for extra scares this fall Smile

08-03-2014, 01:37 PM (This post was last modified: 08-05-2014 08:43 AM by buckler89.)
So we know Maze of Madness is coming back and replacing Medieval Macabre. Now the question is what will be replacing Miners? Will they just re-use the props from Miners with some tweaks to avoid the mine theme or will they do a whole new maze theme? Or is it possible that they just won't even bother with doing a maze in the WWC area (this was mentioned as a rumor on another board)?

Personally, I would rather see them scrap the WWC area and put a new maze somewhere else. Like Blue Ridge, I see what they're going for here. Making an outdoor maze back in the woods seems like a great idea on paper. But the problem is the queue itself. The area is just too open and you're stuck on the path. Just like Blue Ridge, the actors do not have enough places to hide and it is too easy to see them from a long way off. Granted, the mine shaft helped a lot last year. But if they are not able to incorporate the shaft again, I would rather they just put a new maze somewhere else.

Also, can we PLEASE either get some upgrades to Outbreak or change the theme altogether? I get it, it's in the FOF building so they want to keep the sci-fi theme (personally, I say screw it, who cares?). But this maze just needs some help. I will say that two years ago, Outbreak was pretty good the night I went with a good amount of jump scares. Last year though, it was just very weak. I don't remember there being much detail in the props and the atmosphere just wasn't there for me. When I'm in No Vacancy, Doll Factory, or even Zombie High and Cornstalkers, I feel very immersed in the maze because of the atmosphere. But in Outbreak, it just feels... blah. Either amp up the props or do a new theme.

One more thing. I've seen discussions about new mazes and shows, but what about the scare zones? They definitely got some upgrades last year, especially Feary Tales. While I am a big fan of Feary Tales, I could see it getting replaced this year since it has been around since 2009. I wouldn't mind seeing KD tackle something with werewolves.

Today is the last day of Dodgem being open for the season. Dodgem being shut down excites me. Can't wait for images of Haunt preparations to start leaking.
08-04-2014, 02:29 PM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2014 02:31 PM by smooth3242.)
So excited for Maze of Madness! I remember when it was just in a white tent. From one year the area was next to Drop Zone and from where Cornstalkers is now!

[Image: HalloweenHauntKD_MazeOfMadness.jpg]

(08-03-2014 01:37 PM)buckler89 Wrote:  I wouldn't mind seeing KD tackle something with werewolves. I'm also a little surprised they haven't tried a zombie scare zone, but I guess with Zombie High now, that would be a bit of an overkill (pun 100% intended).

Now that you mentioned the whole werewolves thing...I could see that replacing Miners Revenge. I could only see it being successful as a maze rather than a scare zone. This still has that old wooden props atmosphere to it and it would fit the location.

Canada's Wonderland had a maze called Were Wolf Canyon (great for an area named White Water Canyon). I think it would be a wonderful addition to the park, but it would have to be executed extremely well. The actors, props, and even makeup and costume will have to be upscale to want to scare the crap out of park guest!

[Image: 8033501736_0efeeb0318_z.jpg]

Regardless, we know it will be something new due to it saying TBA!
https://www.kingsdominion.com/haunt/ride...?ctg=Mazes

08-05-2014, 08:41 AM
(08-04-2014 02:29 PM)smooth3242 Wrote:  Now that you mentioned the whole werewolves thing...I could see that replacing Miners Revenge. I could only see it being successful as a maze rather than a scare zone. This still has that old wooden props atmosphere to it and it would fit the location.

Canada's Wonderland had a maze called Were Wolf Canyon (great for an area named White Water Canyon). I think it would be a wonderful addition to the park, but it would have to be executed extremely well. The actors, props, and even makeup and costume will have to be upscale to want to scare the crap out of park guest!

Regardless, we know it will be something new due to it saying TBA!
https://www.kingsdominion.com/haunt/ride...?ctg=Mazes

Werewolves replacing Miners would be a great idea. I guess if you're gonna do werewolves, you might as well put them back in the woods. Again though, I think they still need to build up the area more to hide the actors. That's my biggest thing if they continue to use WWC. If they can do something like they did with the mine shaft, they can nail it. They just need to do more in the first half of the maze.

Also Smooth, I'm just curious. How were you able to get to the Haunt site? The link you provided works fine, but for kicks I went to the KD site to see if there is anything there and when you search for Haunt and try getting into the Haunt website, it just kicks you back to the KD main page since it hasn't been posted. How did you get into the Haunt site?
08-05-2014, 11:28 AM
Quote: Also Smooth, I'm just curious. How were you able to get to the Haunt site? The link you provided works fine, but for kicks I went to the KD site to see if there is anything there and when you search for Haunt and try getting into the Haunt website, it just kicks you back to the KD main page since it hasn't been posted. How did you get into the Haunt site?

Whoever is in charge of the Haunt website didn't deactivate all the links properly. I still had the link for haunt mazes saved in my favorites and it let me in lol

08-05-2014, 01:49 PM
(08-05-2014 11:28 AM)smooth3242 Wrote:  Whoever is in charge of the Haunt website didn't deactivate all the links properly. I still had the link for haunt mazes saved in my favorites and it let me in lol

Well that is much less exciting than I was hoping for lol.

Anyway, let's hope KD doesn't dangle this in front of us for too long. Looking at the discussion for Haunt 2013, it looks like KD announced Miners and Zombie High at the end of July, but we didn't know for sure what was being replaced until a little later. They announced Maze of Madness pretty early, so hopefully they announce the Miners replacement and any other additions/cuts soon. The anticipation is killing me.
08-05-2014, 02:49 PM
I definitely will be looking out for anything Haunt related at the park on Thursday! I still feel like it's still way to early to guess what will happen until mid second to third week of August! If anything we will see Maze of Madness walls being put up and if there will be changes to CornStalkers since we can see it from the Eiffel Tower. I wonder if Maze of Madness will get a cool asylum theme facade this year too! Hopefully we get a behind the scenes footage as well! Haunt will be here in no time and I'm excited! Big Grin

08-07-2014, 07:25 PM
I snagged these pictures of Maze of Madness Tuesday while at the park.