Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Official Drop Tower Topic
09-02-2010, 06:50 PM
Re: Official Drop Tower Topic
KingsDominionGeek Wrote:Of the last few times I was on it I'd say 3 times they did it over the speaker and 1 time they didn't. I prefer it only b/c Drop Tower scares me - but I can see why it can get annoying. But most times when they count they are purposfully "off" and we drop on like 4 or 3.

It's not that it's annoying. I just like the element of surprise. I still think they do it because Drop Tower scares people a lot. Again, it depends on who is operating the ride. I'm a fear mongul, so if it was me, I would tell them completely nothing.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-02-2010, 06:52 PM
Well if your counting and dropping on "3" then it's really like not counting at all.

I Have No Homeboy.
09-02-2010, 07:02 PM
Altogether, I think the ride is very fun at nights. It's something about being dropped in the night sky that I love. Depends on what side of the tower your on. I could care less about seeing I-95 at the top of the ride. After all, I take 301 going to Kings Dominion, so the last thing I want to see is I-95. I would rather see the country side of VA before plunging over 200 ft to the ground.

Ever thought about riding something like Drop Zone, but in a enclosed building and dropping in the pitch black?
09-02-2010, 07:22 PM
^ That's one of the rumored rides for Busch Gardens. Right now the closest thing to it is probably Mystery Castle at Phantasialand. I'm not sure if I would like that as much. I love the view off of the top of our Drop Tower!

I'm redesigning all of the Coaster Crew Network sites throughout the spring. Please help me out by answering surveys and polls on our Coaster Crew Network News board!

My top steel coasters: 1. Top Thrill Dragster | 2. Manta (SWO) | 3. Montu | 4. SheiKra | 5. Volcano ... My top wooden coaster: El Toro (SFGAdv).
09-02-2010, 07:26 PM
You know, I've never ridden it at night. Will have to do that soon!

I Have No Homeboy.
09-02-2010, 07:29 PM
cygnusx1 Wrote:^ That's one of the rumored rides for Busch Gardens. Right now the closest thing to it is probably Mystery Castle at Phantasialand. I'm not sure if I would like that as much. I love the view off of the top of our Drop Tower!

I do know of Mystery Castle. The only thing that gives the ride hype is the theme of being in the castle. The actually drop ride is very short in height. I would like to see something like Drop Zone constructed inside a enclosed building with some sort of castle theme. When I first rode Drop Zone back in 2005, I was very happy to be on it. The Drop still entertains me until this very day because it picks up good speed.

The science behind drop rides are some what unique. It's the free falling sensation that ride designers think about. As soon as you begin the fall, your stomach gets that weightless-ness feeling, which creates that weird butterfly feeling. The higher the drop, the greater the sensation is going to feel. The biggest Drop Ride in the world is in Austrailia, if I am correct. It stands at least 300 ft if I remember. I wonder how much taller they will build those things in the US.

Now, how much taller do you think the launch drop tower rides will get?
09-03-2010, 10:25 PM
KingsDominionGeek Wrote:You know, I've never ridden it at night. Will have to do that soon!

I have... during Haunt! It's great at night in the fall.

I'm redesigning all of the Coaster Crew Network sites throughout the spring. Please help me out by answering surveys and polls on our Coaster Crew Network News board!

My top steel coasters: 1. Top Thrill Dragster | 2. Manta (SWO) | 3. Montu | 4. SheiKra | 5. Volcano ... My top wooden coaster: El Toro (SFGAdv).
09-04-2010, 01:28 AM
I rode it on august 28th and it's veryyyy intense! It sorts feels like it's not gonna stop! I was scared but Fran was telling me how she rides it everyday! So I was like ok let's do it!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-21-2010, 04:57 PM
hey i know this is from a long time ago but i asked fran in person about the face book fan club and she said she doesn't even have a computer

http://www.youtube.com/user/iheartcoastersvids

check out my channel!!!!!
03-14-2011, 05:29 PM
this is the only ride at KD that makes me nervous everytime i ride it! it is truly exilerating

bgentwsox is BACK...if anyone actually cared.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0&feature=fvst
03-15-2011, 03:11 AM
Last summer was the first time i ever got on the Drop Tower. First, I'm terrified of heights and a three story building will terrify me.

I must say, the Drop Tower is amazing. I rode it once and got on it again right after. Then during the haunt, I rode it at night and the fog machines covered everything on the ground where you can not see anything but lights. The best time to ride it is at night/fog machines.
06-09-2011, 04:42 PM
This one scared the crap out of my sister ("oh my god, it's so high"). She was really petrified going up the thing. Going down, she loved it, though. I rode it too and enjoyed it, but it was the only ride the entire day that actually made me scream.

"HOOOOOLLLLLYYYY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII" ...all the way down.
06-18-2011, 11:08 AM
KingsDominionGeek Wrote:You know, I've never ridden it at night. Will have to do that soon!

It's simply AMAZING at night! Especially during Haunt. It's cool when you plummet down you break through all the fog.
Out of all the flat rides at KD, Drop Tower I will have to say is one of my top favorites. I can remember getting stuck on the top once for about 15 mins somewhere back in either 2004 or 2005. If finally came down slowly after that. That was the ONLY time DT was scary for me! :mrgreen:

4everCoasterCrew ♥ Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-18-2011, 01:25 PM
I was at the park this past Tuesday. Drop Tower experienced a lot of down time. Supposedly there was too much wind at the top of the tower. I guess it's good for them to take precaution, but at various points of the day there was no wind at all. It did have times of the day when it opened, but most of the day it was closed. As for the ride performance, it ran very well. Most times when I rode it, the older lady ride operator wouldn't count down. So it gave you the element of surprise when the ride would drop.
06-19-2011, 12:00 AM
KDCoasterChick Wrote:

It's simply AMAZING at night! Especially during Haunt. It's cool when you plummet down you break through all the fog.
Out of all the flat rides at KD, Drop Tower I will have to say is one of my top favorites. I can remember getting stuck on the top once for about 15 mins somewhere back in either 2004 or 2005. If finally came down slowly after that. That was the ONLY time DT was scary for me! :mrgreen:
I've actually ridden it at night since that post (during Haunt)! I do have to say it's very cool!!

I Have No Homeboy.