Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Official Drop Tower Topic
06-19-2011, 12:10 PM
Re: Official Drop Tower Topic
Martian's Agenda Wrote:I was at the park this past Tuesday. Drop Tower experienced a lot of down time. Supposedly there was too much wind at the top of the tower. I guess it's good for them to take precaution, but at various points of the day there was no wind at all. It did have times of the day when it opened, but most of the day it was closed. As for the ride performance, it ran very well. Most times when I rode it, the older lady ride operator wouldn't count down. So it gave you the element of surprise when the ride would drop.

That's Fran... she is a great ride op! She was working yesterday while I was on the ride. One of the guys was on the mic while I was riding. I was sitting next to a woman who was pretty scared. The guy said something like, "How many of you want to play a game?" And then he let us drop. It was great. (Right after I rode, I saw a bunch of other people from Hurlfest get on the ride.)

I'm redesigning all of the Coaster Crew Network sites throughout the spring. Please help me out by answering surveys and polls on our Coaster Crew Network News board!

My top steel coasters: 1. Top Thrill Dragster | 2. Manta (SWO) | 3. Montu | 4. SheiKra | 5. Volcano ... My top wooden coaster: El Toro (SFGAdv).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-19-2011, 12:13 PM
Drop Zone is cool when they don't tell you when the drop is. Normally, I know because of the way the motor sounds at the top of the tower.
06-19-2011, 01:04 PM
I rode Drop Tower right after I did sky flyer and it wasn't nearly as scary as it normally is. I didn't even hold on on the way down (usually on this ride I'm holding on for dear life) I was probably in the group after you. The ride op miscounted and we had to wait an extra turn.

I Have No Homeboy.
06-19-2011, 09:22 PM
The ride ops for Drop Tower, Rebel Yell, and 305 were nothing but awesome when I went Wednesday! All the other rides were good as well (just weren't as "happy"), I didn't run into a single employee that wasn't atleast making an attempt to be friendly.
06-19-2011, 09:23 PM
I love to watch how people react after their first ride on Drop Tower. It is a very thrilling drop no matter how many times you ride it!
06-19-2011, 09:25 PM
^ It really is. I rode it 3 times Wednesday and could have kept going! At one point of the day they were talking when you were at the top of the tower and said "Let me drop you back down to the Scream Zone!" and BAM you dropped 272 feet. Big Grin
06-19-2011, 09:27 PM
^I like how the ride ops are very random with what they say or don't say before you drop. Keeps you guessing
07-25-2011, 08:30 PM
Is it just me or does it seem like you're higher when riding drop tower than it feels on the eiffel tower? I think its because you know the only way down is dropping at 70 mph.

"We are crooked souls trying to stand up straight. Dried eyes in the pouring rain, well, the shadow proves the sunshine..."
The Shadow Proves the Sunshine- Switchfoot
11-26-2011, 07:14 PM
Yeah Drop Tower looks great because its a gyro drop, much better than the traditional drops. Gyro is the way to go.

Coaster Count: 73
Park Count: 13
MilForce|Bizarro|Toro|B-Dash|TTD|KingdaKa|D-Back|Nitro|Maverick|Steel Force
11-27-2011, 09:01 PM
Christian Wrote:Is it just me or does it seem like you're higher when riding drop tower than it feels on the eiffel tower? I think its because you know the only way down is dropping at 70 mph.
and the fact that theres no floor and you just sit up there for who know how long and you never no when your going to drop

2011 visit and ride count: visits:6 Intimidator 305:8 FOF:6Volcano:5 avalanche:1 backlot:5 Dominator:7 Shockwave:2 Hurler: 2 Grizzly:3 Rebel yell: 1 Andacanda: 2 Drop zone:4 Ricochet: 1 White water :3 Log flume:3 crypt :1
Xtreme skyflyer: 2
04-09-2012, 03:14 PM
kDfReAk Wrote:Not sure if this has been discussed prior...
but I always wondered how deep
does the tower go into the ground?

Fran told me today it goes 30 feet underground.

Drop Tower is the best ride at Kings Dominion!
09-05-2012, 11:20 PM
This was one scary ride for me few years back. It was scary because then I was a little bit afraid of drop towers because of the height and strait down drops. Thankfully I was dragged on and I got over my fears of drop towers. Now this past month I made several trips to Drop tower and loved all my rides on it. I dunno why a few years ago they wouldn't allow you to keep your sunglasses on as a ride op would tell me to put the glasses in one of the bins. But this year they didn't tell me to take the glasses off and they never flew off as the ride was free falling. But I just love the feeling of the rush of wind from the ride as it stops. It's a mini relief on a hot day.

I just find it amazing how now this ride would fit under I-305 [height wise]. lol, Horizontal drop or near vertical drop? Me, i'd take the vertical.
09-06-2012, 07:05 PM
nyc_phil Wrote:This was one scary ride for me few years back. It was scary because then I was a little bit afraid of drop towers because of the height and strait down drops. Thankfully I was dragged on and I got over my fears of drop towers. Now this past month I made several trips to Drop tower and loved all my rides on it. I dunno why a few years ago they wouldn't allow you to keep your sunglasses on as a ride op would tell me to put the glasses in one of the bins. But this year they didn't tell me to take the glasses off and they never flew off as the ride was free falling. But I just love the feeling of the rush of wind from the ride as it stops. It's a mini relief on a hot day.

I just find it amazing how now this ride would fit under I-305 [height wise]. lol, Horizontal drop or near vertical drop? Me, i'd take the vertical.
They don't want you to have anything that you can drop - (and potentially hurt people below you with) - which is why they do the hand check before the ride starts. Idk why it varied from this time vs. last time though.

I Have No Homeboy.
09-06-2012, 10:39 PM
I can understand that, but my sunglasses wraps around and is pretty firmly gripped to my head. So it is kinda hard for it to 'fly off'. But that said it was an interesting contrast this year vs the past years.
09-08-2012, 12:33 AM
nyc_phil Wrote:I can understand that, but my sunglasses wraps around and is pretty firmly gripped to my head. So it is kinda hard for it to 'fly off'. But that said it was an interesting contrast this year vs the past years.
I don't think it's the flying off that they're worried about...its the dummies that throw things from the top.

I Have No Homeboy.